We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

Hi All,i keep reading in reviews that the drinks are watered down at the Riu Palace Bavaro,i am visiting there in Oct and feel a bit concerned about this.Does this happen at this resort,can anybody supply any facts about it,and has anybody in the past confronted the management of this issue.

Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

I've seen this to Mags. We go in November for our honeymoon and we've been keeping a close eye on reviews (some good, some bad. We take the bad ones with a pinch of salt!)

We bought a couple of those insulated cups that Americans and Canadians always seem to have at AIs at Mountain Warehouse. They're pretty big so even if the drinks are watered down we should still get a reasonable buzz! I am interested to know what's going on though.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

Hi Mags.. we always popping up on the same pages... :-) There seems to be quite a few though saying "not sure why people say drinks are watered down" see Devilkitten just recently... i remeber her posts pre holiday being like us Mags a little concerned - however reading her review i am quite happy with her comments!

No offence Devilkitten but she is from Scotland - and they do like a drink just like the rest of us so i'm sure she would have noticed her drinks being watered down....

Sal

Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

I feel better after re-reading Devilkitten's review, thanks Sal. I figure you could potentially drink so much through the course of the day it doesn't matter too much if they're a bit watered down. We're going to feel so self conscious with those insulated cups but I think it should save us a few trips to the bar at the beach and pool.

At the risk of hijacking Mag's thread does anyone know how often you can visit the al l carte restaurants? Last year in Mexico it was three per week. We are travelling with Thomson if that makes any difference.

Thanks (and sorry for the hijack)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,763 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

watered down? I've seen this the odd time in different reviews.... if in doubt ask the bartender to pour you a straight shot and a mix on the side.... problem / mystery solved LOL

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

SWArd we take the insulate mugs everytime we go to The Caribbean. Trust me you won't feel self conscious... everyone has them. I like the frozen / slush cocktails and they are brilliant at keeping them slushy even in the mid-day heat.

Sal

Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

Debinatore I think the issue is if the actual bottle of spirit has been watered down i. e. they open them around the back and then add a bit of water. Although, depending on how sharp you are, you might be able to taste it if you were drinking it straight.

Sarah

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

I think the real issue is the alcohol they are using. In a good number of resorts, although they show a line of bottles behind the bar...the actual bottles they are pouring from are of the brand names "Clasico and Normandy". Both are bargain basement brands.

When ordering a drink, it is best to specify what "brand" you want as opposed to "a Cuba Libre" or "a vodka and orange".

To the best of my inside knowledge, the vast majority of resorts (all of the finer resorts) do not "water down" but do serve lower quality than what you see presented on display...unless you are specific.

Cheers

PCMike

Edited: 04 September 2013, 12:03
saint john new...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

i have no problem with the drinks , sometimes they are to strong, also i think when they make you a drink they put a lot of ice and with the cheaper brands they could tatse watered down. anyway i have no problem getting drunk, not so much now getting older and it hurts a lot more now.lol

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

Many lower priced alcohols have a lower alcohol content (proof) than higher priced brands. It's not that the resorts are watering down the booze, but the % of "punch" is lower.

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: watered down drinks at the Riu Palace Bavaro

I've read complaints about watered down drinks at many resorts in several countries and people imply the liquor is watered down but it's not. The drinks are in fact watered down because people primarily order sweet fruit based drinks that are shaken with ice an want them to be the consistency of an alcoholic slushy. The ice melts and there you have it a watered down drink. I like a martini and I always tell the bartender I want it stirred not shaken, the exact opposite of James Bond.