We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Town

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beverly Hills
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Punta Cana Town

Hi everybody,

We are going to Punta Cana for the first time. I wanted to know if there is a main shopping street or market area in town. When we leave the resort and want to walk around the town where should we take a taxi to? Is there a main street where all the restaurants and stores are? Also, what are the best shopping malls in Punta Cana?

Any other general tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 04 September 2013, 19:21
Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Town

Punta Cana is not known as a shopping mecca! There really is no "town", but there are a few shopping areas in clusters throughout the resort areas, as well as some vendor huts along the beaches where you can bargain for assorted souvenirs. FYI - the airport does have some duty free shopping in the departure terminals.

Tell us what resort are you staying at and some recommendations can be made that may be convenient to your hotel.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Town

welcome to the forum... do a search for "shopping" you'll find loads on information here.

Cheers, DEbBiE

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Town

Punta Cana is not really a town, but an area of mostly resorts. That said, there are some small shopping areas both on the roads and on the beach. Plus most resorts bring in local vendors one or two nights a week if you just want to check out some local products and souvenir type items.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Town

Depending in which resort your staying you may be able to take advantage of one of the free bus shuttle services that go to either Palma Real mall or the San Juan shopping center.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Town

yeah, we would really need to know what resort you are staying at to make recommendations. We stayed at the Palladium last year and it was great for shopping. just after the resort on the beach was a section of market shops and the best one of all La Cussie. didn't have to take a cab anywhere!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Town

Cherie07,

That sounds good as we two( mature) ladies love to hit the 'barter' button in DR. Staying at Palladium for first time end of January..... can't wait.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Town

La Cussie is fixed pricing, thus the barter will not work! There is a trend to this kind of shopping happening throughout the region. The "MY FRIEND MY FRIEND" dinosaurs are dying off outside the resorts. Now...if they could just exterminate them inside the resorts during those "vendor nights".

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Town

I can understand your preference since you live there Mike, I'd be fed up with haggling over every price all the time too. When I left the Asia-Middle east areas I was so happy to see a fixed price tag!

But the bargaining game is what SOME people look forward to, assuring themselves they are getting the deal of the century, that they play the game better than anyone has ever before, LOL! Or even getting a few laughs at how poorly they play the game. Which is why I suspect it will continue at tourist areas, even if we ALL don't love the game.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Town

Actually LA...as I said, they are dying off. More and more shops closed and empty. Changing preferences. As a local nobody tends to pay any attention to you, thus not an issue...they seem to be able to differentiate us from tourists. Places like San Juan Shopping now has free standing kiosks set up and no haggle pricing. They are the ones selling right now.

A few months back...April to be exact, a longtime vendor asked me..."when is low season over"? This was during high season! LOL

Cheers

PCMike

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana Town

It's certainly not very dead in PP area or when going off resort. There are fixed price shops and hypermarkets in the city also. I rarely buy now from inside the resort when vendors set up stalls. But have in the past enjoyed the experience in Sosua ( the beach stalls) Cabarete and near Luperon where we had a villa break.Also on travels to other parts of DR my friend and her husband bought original Haitian artwork ( no not the terrible stuff you see everywhere) and custom made Larimar jewellery made from beautiful large chunks of the rocks bought on our trips out and about.

No we don't 'think we're getting a bargain' and yes I hate it when they become overly persistent and a little aggressive in their 'sales pitch'.

Be a pity though if it's a totally " sanitised " shopping experience ...... I can get that at home thanks

Edited: 05 September 2013, 14:08