We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

My husband and I are staying at Secrets Royal Beach at the end of October. We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid last year. Was wondering if anyone could explain the differences and what to expect? Many reviews are stating that the Wild Orchid has it all over the Royal Beach. Definitely has me a little concerned. Thanks for your help!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

Hi

We have been to both and had a great time at both

Secrets Wild Orchid and it's sister resort Secrets St James are a lot bigger than SRB and accordingly you have far more restaurants and bar to chose from. At SRB to get additional dining options you need to go next door to Now Larimar which is a family resort

The beach itself as SRB is IMHO better than SWO/SSJ as there as you will know it is a series of man made coves. However the ocean is way better at SWO/SSJ and you have great snorkelling

The food and service at SRB is comparable but as I say you have less dining options for lunch and dinner unless yo venture across to Now Larimar where we personally did not rate the food

How many nights are you going for???

If you check out my review you will find a link to a large photo album for the property which should give you a good feel for it

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d1…

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

We have stayed at both and loved both but Secrets Wild Orchid in our opinion is slightly better. Both had great service but one thing to remember is that Dominican Republic is a Spanish speaking country and Jamaica is English. We never had an issue with language at SRB as the main service people all seemed to do well in English.

SWO had more restaurants and we thought the food was a little better. Nothing wrong at SRB but we just find the food in the DR not as good as Mexico and Jamaica. That jerk chicken at SWO was very good!!

SRB has a great lazy river and that beach is really beautiful. SWO beach is nice but SRB has it beat when it comes to the beach.

We loved the piano bar at SWO and the live music in the courtyard at SRB.

The buffet at SRB has some nice beach side outdoor sitting that was really nice as well.

Both are great places and we would return to both in a heartbeat.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

Sorry this duplicated

Edited: 09 September 2013, 18:25
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

Thank you, flip-flopman. I have checked out all your photos and appreciate your prompt reply. We are staying 7 nights at Royal Beach. Just to give a little history, we have previously stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid, IB Grand both Mexico and Jamaica and Excellence in Punta Cana. With that being said, I am hoping we are not going to be disappointed at Secrets Royal Beach. Past reviews on the rooms and food are so random.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

Thank you, catchinrayz that informs me a great deal on what to expect. How do you feel the rooms compared? We did not splurge beyond a "tropical view" room as we usually are upgraded for being repeat Secrets guests. Not sure of our chances for our upcoming stay but will we be dissatisfied if we are not upgraded? Guests photos seem to show the rooms not being near as beautiful as the rooms at Wild Orchid.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

I do not think you will be disappointed with SRB as it is a quality resort

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

We were in a swim up at SRB and a preferred club swim out at SWO. I think the rooms at both are about the same size but the decor is very different. The SRB room was brighter and more simpler in decor with pastel type colours. The SWO was the more darker richer colours and who couldn't love that large free standing tub. Lol.

No issues with either rooms both nice but different. I would make sure your room at SRB is on the inside of the resort and preferably not tropical view. The tropical view could be over the service areas with noisy buggies going up and down. Rooms are the same just the view different. A garden or pool view would be better.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

Thank you for all your explanations. Anyone have any experience getting a free room upgrade at Secrets Royal Beach for being a repeat guest? We have been lucky in the past but I realize each hotel within a resort chain is different. Just trying to decide if I should go ahead and pay for the upgrade or take a chance after I arrive at the resort. Thanks again!

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

October is typically lower capacity so you should have a good chance of upgrading at the resort although you may need to pay. It is really up to you if you want to take a chance on availability and rate.

We have stayed at 3 different secrets and 2 NOW resorts (Larimar once, Jade twice) and I don't think we have been given a free upgrade but have been given a discount on the upgrade rate as many others have as well. On our wedding night at Jade they upgraded us but that is the only time that I can remember. It is not uncommon for then the send a fruit platter or some other perk such as champagne to returning guests but we have always paid to upgrade either in advance or at resort.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Royal Beach vs Secrets Wild Orchid

We will be at Secrets the same time it sounds like. It will be our first time to DR and to a Secrets resort. I have heard all good things so we are excited! We did not pay for an upgraded room. We will see what happens when we check in. We are hoping it won't be too packed at the hotel.