We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean blue rating

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
ocean blue rating

apple vacations have changed the rating for Ocean Blue from 5 Golden apples to 5 Red apples. does anyone know why? We were planning on going back there in 2014. Wondering if things have gone down?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,609 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocean blue rating

You should ask how a resort of equal quality...in fact 3 of them...are considered 6 golden apples! LOL Those ratings mean next to nothing and are as reliable as online weather forecasts for our region!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ocean blue rating

ditto to what vienemo said.

you can take it for sure that such rating change has simply its reasonings on their contracts with this particular hotel in comparison to their new season deals with other hotels on the same service level. they always give the most good apples to the properties where the most $$$ are made by booking customers into the place, and the bad apples are the ones where less of a sales commission is earned. pure and usual marketing strategies.

the apple ratings have zero to do with the quality of a Hotel/Resort.

the Ocean Blue&Sands is still the same hotel as it had been last season. same rooms, same services, same amenities. a good middle of the road property with plenty activities for the young and the young by heart. it is most timem a active property with a good number of young clientel. during springbreak times it also attracts the spring break crowds, good for the ones who like the action and to be avoided at those times by the ones who want it more relaxed.

but no changes due a change on apple colors or numbers

have fun

Mike

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocean blue rating

Apple Vacations Rating System:

…applevacations.com/site/…apple_ratings.jsp

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ocean blue rating

lol

MIke

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ocean blue rating

Some other info that may be of interest:

applevacationsblog.com/2009/…

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,609 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ocean blue rating

One thing is for certain...Ocean is getting new mattresses!!! I have seen them taking the old ones out over the past few days. That has to at least add an apple! LOL

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ocean blue rating

Mike,

you have even to add 2 apples,

as the Ocean Blue is not just changing the mattresses, they change the whole beds actually into new ones.

the old beds are for sale, i heard 3.000 pesos each complete bed.

if that's not worth 2 more good apples by apples...

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ocean blue rating

Love the comments on that blog. About says it all about so called apples. LOL

Buyer beware. ;-)

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ocean blue rating

what does everyone else do to help make their hotel choice?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ocean blue rating

i check our available easy to can pay budget first, so the list is usually much shorter than the list of all present hotels together. from there on i do not look on any hotel above our available budget.

then i sweep thru the offered/included amenities of the hotels on the list with our own "Must have/don't wanna have" things in mind, so one by one some get scratched off the list while others stay.

from the few at the end left hotels we check more into the not so important details to knock it down to the finally choosen one. it does zero matter how many apples from apple vacation or stars from Tripadvisor ratings the finally choosen resort has, important is that the property has the "must have" amenities by our taste and does not run any "don't want to experience" things on site(like we would not book for example at a Spring Break Resort, and not at a resort with vacation club/timeshares present etc, as such would be dealbreakers for our personal preferences).

there are properties perfectly suitable for some, while they would be a hellhole for others at the same time, we do not go by a salessite's rankings etc, just by our own personal preferences, and of course, as that should be for everyone the first and most important decider, we go by our own available budget First. a fully paid ahead of time vacation brings a big piece of mind, a extra relaxation factor, i would never upgrade to higher levels by a credit, overdoing a credit card or such, to go to work to pay off the already finished vacation afterwards. i prefer to have that taken care off first, and from the day a vaca finished we can check the available budget/start savings to plan the next one.

Mike