We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

I will be posting a review shortly, but promised those that asked that I would follow up with a "renovation report" on this resort. Here's my Reno update:

Pool has been fully painted and repaired. Biggest visual difference is the huge Princess logo painted on the bottom centre of the pool. One thing to watch for is at the "beach" walk in sections....they put sand in the paint to provide some foot grip at the waters edge for about a foot in. This is a bit hard on the feet. Just beyond that section, the bottom is VERY slippery. I can't tell you how many people wiped out! Thank goodness the water softened the fall for them or they could of been hurt badly. For those of you going, be careful.

As of yesterday, buildings, 5, 4, and half of 3 have been renovated. This includes the exterior building painting. You could hear saws and hammers during the day (until about 8:00pm) at the buffet area, but it was not annoying. They curtained off the building front so you really couldn't see anything. We also were pretty impressed that the workers were not really seen. They came and went through back entrances. New palm trees were also being planted around the resort. As far as the interior of the rooms (yes....we did get a new Reno room - 5208), we had a few suggestions for them. Currently, there is no shelf in the shower to hold soap or any personal things like shampoo etc. You had to put everything on the floor of the shower. We suggested a shelf to be placed below the towel rack. Excellent water flow pressure from the "rain shower" head. They also have a hand held shower head to reach your "bits and pieces" that are normally hard to reach....lol. Take one of those wall units with suction cups if this is an issue. Walmart sells them for less than $10.00. Before we go back, if they don't put in a shelf, that's what we will do.

The cupboard that held the safe is now your dresser area. There are 4 large shelves (including the safe shelf) to place your fold up clothes. NO dresser with drawers in the room. The closet section is right beside the shelves. One weird thing.....the safe was NOT bolted down. This freaked us out because someone could of picked it up, put it in a suitcase, and rolled away with it. We talked to at least 5 other guests, and they were also concerned about this too. I brought this up to the resort as a concern, so hopefully, they will secure this to the shelving shortly.

The room has better lighting than the original layout. Wall sconces in three places...each side of the bed for reading, one over the day bed, and one by the TV. No lamps! All lights operated by wall switches. All rooms have brand new digital thermostat controls. Air con was very good.

My husband tried out the new jacuzzi and really liked it. There was about 20 air jets on the bottom of the large tub. Big enough for three people! The toilet is in its own water closet which has frosted glass for visual privacy. The glass wall does not go to the roof, therefore you do NOT have "sound" privacy. NOTE: there is NO door on the bathroom. The shower also has a frosted glass wall for privacy. The positioning of the toilet paper roll unit is in a very difficult place to reach if you are right or left handed. It is located right beside your leg if you are sitting down. This is a fairly tight room.....not to offend anyone here, but if you are a large person (over 250 lbs), the location of the holder may be an issue. We have discussed this with the management team to have them either repositioned, or else place the ones in the rooms they are currently renovating in a different spot.

The steps going down to the lower level now have stair lights. These were installed because folks kept rally down them in the dark. We found the light very bright in the dark. I had to put a shoe over it so I was not kept awake during the night.

We liked the room, and happy with the overall workmanship. We were pretty much the first guest, and the room still held building dust. A more thorough cleaning is still required. Discussed with management. Overall, they were very interested on our comment/suggestions, and had one of the contractors meet with my husband.....they wrote down a full page of notes!

I have probably missed some things....so feel free to ask away!

Vicki

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Thanks, Vicki, I am curious. One of the reviews mentioned a second pool being built and the facebook page mentioned a "pool" surprise by mgt. Any ideas?

2. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 13:54
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Barb....we never heard of anything regarding a second pool. I would have asked if I knew ahead of time. This will be some homework for you when you go in a few months. Others going might post something if they hear first!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Well I'd say it's a testament to their appreciation of you as a loyal, returning guest, for management to take your suggestions and recommendations so seriously, that a contractor would meet and take note :) That is very nice to hear. And it's great of you to take the time to let them know - they obviously respect you, and your concern in ensuring the comfort of all their guests :) Now it's just to sic them on the beach vendors, lol.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

I heard about it after you were there. Will definitely report when we get back. Unfortunately, I have 46 more days! :(

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Thanks Laceyblue! The thing that I like about the PCP is that they listen to all of the guests for the most part whether its your first time there or your 12th. We noticed that they they were spending quite a bit of time soliciting information on the rooms from quite a few guests. We all have good ideas, and hopefully they will roll out a few of them.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Thanks so much Vicki!...do you have any idea when they might be finished all of the reno's?...Say by mid December?...looking forward to your review with hopefully some pics!

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

You mention steps going down to the lower level, were you in a honeymoon suite? Do you know if there is any difference now between the renovated standard rooms and renovated honeymoon suites? We're arriving Oct 5 for two weeks, honeymoon suite. Thanks very kindly for your update.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

Diana, all the standard rooms have a step down to the sitting area.

Ricksmoxie, their Facebook page says they will be dome by mid November. I am going 11/2 for two weeks and will report back!

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update...Punta Cana Princess renovations

I agree with what Barb indicated. Building 3 should be finished in the next week or two. I was told that buildings 1 and 2 would be next. Seems like they are working at the renovations extremely fast as 3 was only started when we arrived, and more than halfway done when we left 8 days later. I just put my review on, and it will take a day or two for them to post it. I didn't take any pictures, but scoll through this link, and that is exactly what the rooms look like now. (Hope it works). The honeymoon suite looks a bit different, but they are decorated beautifully.

http://www.sunwing.ca/HotelDesc/En/PUJPCP.asp