We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health alert

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Health alert

After hearing about our travels to the Riviera Maya and Punta Cana, my wife's brother and his wife decided to spend their 25th wedding anniversary in Punta Cana. Stacey is a breast cancer survivor finishing radiation theory about a year ago. She is now cancer free but has to take medication for 10 years, medication that lowers her immune system. She is a pool person but she and her husband went into the ocean one time for just a short period and only up to her knees. She noticed small bites on her ankles and when she got home they started itching and turning red. The doctor is treating her for cellulitis and said it was probably from her one time in the ocean. Happy ending: She and her husband loved, really loved, Punta Cana and are already planning for next summer probably to the Riviera Maya or Jamaica. So bjust a head's up for any other women in like circumstances.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health alert

for those interested here is what it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulitis

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health alert

Sounds like sand fleas to me but I'm not a Dr.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health alert

Those sound like common sand flea bites and they can occur anywhere and affect anyone regardless of health history!

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health alert

I thought the same about the sand fleas,, but the OP has already said its been diagnosed by a DR ,, and when you read the description look very similar

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health alert

They are Sand Fleas. Ask her if she went to watch the sunrise or stayed late into the evening at the beach. I got home and I thought we had Bed Bugs until someone asked me the exact same question.

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health alert

Not trying to scare anyone or turn anyone off from traveling to Punta Cana. We have been to the Riviera Maya 5 times and Punta Cana once with no troubles and are already planning our next trip. Just saying that Stacey, who is a nurse, traveled with lower immunity because of medication. And just a head's up to anyone in a similar situation. They used to go every year to Myrtle Beach and it could happen there too. Just be careful with lowered immunity.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health alert

According to that Wikipedia reference, 'cellulitis' can occur after insect bites (which definitely include sand fleas). It is really a non-specific term.

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Health alert

Sand flea bites can result in cellulitis (infection of the skin) - especially in those whose immune system is somewhat compromised as in this example.

The cellulitis results from the scratching, which breaks down the skin further, so while "sand fleas cause cellulitis" is not really accurate, "sand flea (or other bug bites obtained just about anywhere in the world) bites can result in cellulitis"

Semantics perhaps, but truthful information.

Bugs

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health alert

Bugs, you're da bomb... always full of great understandable information... now get back to work LOL

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Health alert

Yes, hubby had quite the reaction to the sand flea bites also - no lowered immune system in him. They sure can be nasty, itchy things, leaving an unattractive affected area - and it's very true that everyone reacts differently. Mosquito repellant before visiting the beach and/or tea tree oil can help repel them, and hydrocortisone will be your friend should you get bit! Hope she is feeling better :)