We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria or hep meds..

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
malaria or hep meds..

ok all, does everyone get hepatitis shots and some medication for malaria??? doc says we NEED to have it before we leave.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
819 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria or hep meds..

I think they promote it more in Canada! My husband and I have had our hep A & B shots, because of our jobs offering them. Have never taken malaria tablets. I think Europeans might promote those also. Have been traveling since 1998 and no malaria yet! Fingers crossed!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria or hep meds..

Hepatitis meds(injections) are always a good idea even if not traveling.

As to Malaria meds NO one who lives here takes them. Most folks from the UK do as their insurance company thinks they need them. 50/50 on Canada and from the USA us almost no one takes them.

BObK

Norfolk, uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria or hep meds..

This is our 5th time to DR from the UK and we don't take anything for Malaria. It's a negligible risk as far as we're concerned compared to the possible side effects of drugs. We're up to date with the Hep.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria or hep meds..

With regards to Hepatitis A, I strongly suggest you ask your doctor for a blood test. In the UK the doctor or more likely the practice nurse usually gets this done and naturally if you are immune (had the infection) then your do not need a vaccination.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria or hep meds..

side effects from malaria meds???? please explain. Teflon

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria or hep meds..

We do not take the malaria meds. We were prescribed Malarone a few years back and chose not to use them. On the bottle, it was advised not to go in the sun or consume alcohol.....and may cause intestinal issues, insomnia and other great things. Not my idea of vacation. We met the resort doctor while in PC and she said unless we were going towards the Haitian border, no need to take the meds.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 03:50
Dumfries, Scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria or hep meds..

Hello, we travel to the Esmeralda next month.

We are booked in today for innoculations at our doctor's. Myself and my wife are gettting a typhoid shot and our six year old daughter is getting a Hep A. & Typhoid shot.

We also plan on taking malaria tablets before, during and after our holiday.

Better safe than sorry in our view.

Cheers,

Gorky5

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria or hep meds..

barb111, our doctor's opinion was the same regarding the Malaria meds - he said as long as weren't planning on booting it off to a jungle in Haiti, he saw no need for them. There will be different opinions of course, as our local Health Unit recommends taking everything. Whether it matters or not as far as his recommendations, our doctor is from the UK, is well-traveled, his son studied and worked abroad, and while he took the time to check something on his computer while we were in his office, his professional take on precautions, was having Hep A shots, lots of sunscreen with moderate sun exposure, don't drink the water, bring something for possible tummy upset, and to have a drink for him :) Always check with your doctor....

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria or hep meds..

As far as hepatitis and other vaccinations go, we always stay up to date as a) they are free in the UK and b) they are useful to have even if you're not travelling.

With regards to anti-malarial medication, we took it our first year (in 2008).on our subsequent 2 trips we chose not to, because I reacted very badly to the meds (OH less so) (Avloclor; my skin was peeling off in huge pieces leaving raw skin underneath which blistered; and I had a bad stomach for 48 hours after taking each tablet for 4 of the 6 weeks I was taking them). After getting different answers from my GP and pharmacist, and reliable sources online, as to whether I could take Malarone (much more expensive than Avloclor but less known for side effects; but it's a different type of drug to Avloclor and my GP said it wouldn't be as effective against the type of mosquito in PC), and after doing extensive research into the number of malaria cases among visitors to PC over the last decade, we opted not to take them.

My advice would be to speak to your doctor. Also, while the risk is TINY, if you are that very rare case your travel insurance may not cover you if you haven't taken the advised meds; so check the small print. Ultimately though I think that it's a personal decision.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: malaria or hep meds..

london86

I have to agree entirely. Personal decision with advice from doctor about Malaria is what everyone needs to do. People do not realise that it is just not just a case of taking anti malarial prophylactics. Having travelled all over the world one soon gets to understand that some tablets work in some areas and do not work in others, because the Mosquito has built up a resistance to a particular drug in a particular area or continent.

For instance we took Malarone when we visited Mombasa and Goa in India because it was recommended and the because the parasite has built up a resistance to other drugs. I remember we had to spend around £240 for a course of tablets for a long stay. Anyway, cost is never an issue if it is your health.