We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambar and a la carte reservations.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ambar and a la carte reservations.

I am really leaning towards Ambar for a 12 day vaca in December. I love that we can choose quiet or be with more people at other parts of the resort. My only hesitation is having to make reservations. The last 4 resorts we have stayed at have been have what you want when you want. I live on a schedule and am afraid of feeling like I have one on vacation. My question is...how flexible are they if you are late or change your mind and want to to do something else? Yes, I realize there is a buffet but I don't want that for 12 days!

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

See this extensive post by Brooklin...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k64951…

Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

They are flexible so long as there is space. You would just need to ask the Ambar Guest Services department if you can change your reservation (or your butler, if you requested one at check-in). That said, closer to Christmas and New Years, there is likely little space available for last minute changes.

You mention that you're traveling in December. The second half of the month is the busiest time of year, and the Bahia resorts are normally at full capacity. Personally, I consider it a benefit to not have to wait in line to eat at an a la carte for an hour or more. (The alternative being eating really early or really late only.)

By having reservations, you know that you can just casually arrive and be seated right away. We stayed at the Palladium once over Christmas and found that it was always a 2+ hour wait if we went to an la carte around 7 PM, which we really disliked.

I know on vacation many don't want to adhere to schedule. To me, this is more being able to eat when you want (without worrying about lineups).

Edited: 22 September 2013, 22:33
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

The only thing that bugged me a bit when making our vacay plans with the Ambar is the reservation system. I'd rather just eat when I wanna but understand with a property this size, there has to be some sort of system. There are tradeoffs with all sorts of resorts and this one had enough of our "must haves" to make this minor thing not such a problem. First time to this resort Feb 1 CANNOT WAIT! :D

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

gliterbff,

There certainly are pros and cons for each method of dining. I just love their main buffet - the selection and variety is amzing ! Even steaks cooked to your liking if you wish - just see the chef - they are very accommodating.

With a different theme each evening at the buffet, the options are quite amazing in my opinion and though it may sound odd, I just love their soups offered as well..

Here are the different theme nights at the buffet:

Monday ........ Española

Tuesday ....... Gala night - seafood galore - the most popular night

Wednesday .....Oriental

Thursday ... Italian

Friday ......... Dominicana

Saturday ............... Mexican

Sunday .......... American (Like BBQ - different meats)

The main lobby buffet is open every day from 6:30pm to 10:30pm but on Tuesday night for Gala night (seafood theme) it opens at 6:00pm. Due to the popularity of the Tuesday night "Gala" seafood event, you require a reservation for this one night only - seating times at the buffet are 6:00pm, 6:30pm, 8:00pm and 8:30pm. For the a la cartes, simply request a early, mid evening or late dining time - they will try their very best to accommodate you.

Request the buffet seating time with your a la carte reservations requests if you prebook them.

It is the courteous and respectful thing to do by advising your Guest Services staff if you wish to change or cancel a reservation - you may also use your butler service to do so for you, if you wish - certainly would be appreciated by those wishing to dine at one of the a la cartes you are not able to attend.

Hope this does help and wish you a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

Hi. We are going to Amber on Oct. 6th. What would be a good Ala Carte to get a grilled steak? Also, where would you eat on Tuesday night if you didn't make any reservations?

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

Kateman

I would recommend the Garden Grill Steakhouse as my first choice or the Bella Italia as my second choice.

Tuesday night is Gala night at the main buffet - that is seafood night !! That is the most popular night at the main lobby buffet. - be sure to check with the Guest Services department if a reservation is still required for this one night at the buffet - I would highly recommend it. !

Have a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana.

Hope this does assist you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

So if you dont book a time for the main buffet on gala night, and you've not booked an a la carte what do you do?

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

Morley_Tripper,

You can always use room service.

Here is the room service menu:

Breakfast (available from 7:00am to 11:00 am)

Coffee, coffee with milk, decaf coffee, infusions of tea, camomile, mint or blossom tea, hot chocolate

Two types of house sweet rolls and breads

Two toasts

Fine selection of seasoned fruits

Orange and tropical juice

Butter, jam & honey

Lunch Dinner (available from 11:00 am to 11:00 pm)

Nachos with cheese sauce

Mixed salads - lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, pepper & olives

Royal Caesar Salad - the classic caesar salad with chicken & mushrooms

Sandwiches

Ham & Cheese Sandwich

Vegetable Sandwich

Classic Club Sandwich

Hamburger with potato chips

Hot Dog with potato chips

Chicken scallop with potato chips

Desserts

Fine selection of pastries

Plate of seasoned fruit

Natural or fruit flavoured yogurt

Caramalized fruits pudding

Late Night Snacks (available from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am)

Mixed Salads - Lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, pepper & olives

Royal Caesar Salad - the classic caesar salad with chicken & mushrooms

Sandwiches

Ham & Cheese sandwich

Vegetable sandwich

Hamburger with potato chips

Hot Dog with potato chips

Desserts

Fine selection of pastries

Plate of seasoned fruit

Natural or fruit flavoured yogurt

Beverage Service

The mini bar (fridge) is filled once per day

This refrigerator is refilled every day during your stay with the following:

1- Pepsi

1- Pepsi Light

1- 7 Up

1- Orange soda

2- Beer - Presidente

1- Litre Mineral Water

I hope this does assist you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

9. Re: Ambar and a la carte reservations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:21