We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

debit cards/purchases/money

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
debit cards/purchases/money

what would any one of you advise against,

- would it be using an ATM machine for withdrawal purposes??

- using an debit card for purchases at shops, etc??

or should we just use cash all around for anything and everything. hate the thought of carrying all our money around....please advise, trip is in 2 days!!

and your reasonings/explanations for each, please !! thank u !!

Edited: 26 September 2013, 00:07
Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

My wife and I brought $200 in cash for our 9 day stay and went home with $100. ATM fees will be high but be sure to contact your bank to give an fyi you're leaving the country if you plan on using. Don't waste your time w/ the exchange since USD are accepted like gold there. If you plan on spa services then I would use a card instead of bringing $300+ addition in cash. I would eliminate the whole credit/debit card idea but it's your trip :)

Edited: 26 September 2013, 00:10
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

ATM will give you DR pesos.

Might be a charge for using debit card and then there's the conversion.

USD are so widely accepted, that for us, it just made sense to bring cash. We had some secured in the safe, and some on us.

We let our bank and credit card companies know our travel dates and destination, as we did bring both debit and credit card for emergencies - didn't use them.

We agreed that only one of us went into the safe, so there was no "Honey did you lock the safe?" after we'd left the room. We felt very safe leaving our passports and some cash in the safe.

Wishing you a wonderful trip Rose!!! You have done some great research and are sure to have a great time - looking forward to hearing all about it when you return :)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

thank you !!! about using debit/credit cards in any of the shops, is there any fee associated with that or is that also a cash deal we should be doing?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

some credit cards have foreign exchange fees. you need to check your credit rules. for example discover card does not apply this fee (when you charge something in a foreign country and the credit card has to make the conversion to your currency) my capitol one card does not charge this fee either but i am not certain if it is the type of capital one card i have or if it is a company policy. my other cards do not make this claim and i am uncomfortable taking my debit card to a foreign country.... so i bring cash and have the capital one visa card.... used my card in mexico to pay for excursions.... the rest of the trip was cash..... plan the same for my trip in 4 weeks (woo hoo!!!!)

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

Fyi, the excursions I have booked only accept cash. Check beforehand to see which ones you are interested in.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

I can't say whether there are fees or not when using Debit in the shops. And I was posting back in to say that I just remembered (duh) that I DID use my credit card in the resort gift shop on our second last day - there was no fees for that transaction that I can remember, and I felt the conversion at my credit company's end, to be fair. Our excursion balance was also due in cash so we had that with us, and we paid cash when shopping off the resort as well. Just saying that cash worked well for us...

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

We prepaid for quite a few things (using a credit card online): Tourist card, private airport transfer, 1 excursion (Horseplay Punta Cana) etc...we're planning on paying with cash for most things while we're down there (anything we couldn't prepay, tips, trinkets etc)...We will bring a credit card with us for emergencies and additional resort charges - example: spa treatments etc...

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

We bring the cash we think we will need, but we also bring 2 credit cards each ( but different from each other in case theft,lose,denied ect that way one of us will hopefully have a card that works in case of emergency ) we also bring our debit cards and have used them at bank machines a couple of times for mor funds, do let your bank know which cards you are taking out of the country so that they don't deny the charge. Also note that some vendors charge more if you use a credit card ( not sure about a debit card as we have never used ours to pay for anything, ) I am assuming its a if you pay cash then no tax kind of thing as at the larger stores in higuey the charge was the same cash or plastic

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

you should be able to use debit and credit cards at all resort shops. always take care about the exchange rates, as the vouchers for credit/debit card payments will always be done in local currency Dominican Pesos, Not in your homecountry's currency. i know of some toursellers who do not take any extra percentage for accepting cards, but they exchange the currency on very unfavorable rates, for example today a US$ is worth 42.45.- Dominican Pesos, but they would filll in the voucher/type into the CC machine a exchange rate of lets say 45.50.- pesos per US$Dollar.

i would do a mixture, bring some hundred dollars in US$ Cash and bring as a couple 2 different credit/debit cards for higher purchases and as emergency funds.

as others stated above, a very IMPORTANT thingy, always notify prior to travel your bank/Card Provider about your travel to the DR including your Travel Dates, as otherwise so often the cards go on hold and/or on a low cardlimit on or after the first purchase, so they would be useless in case of a upcoming emergency.

Mike

ontario
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: debit cards/purchases/money

Just a thought.... not sure that you'll be able to use your debit card for purchases at shops etc.... I know I can't do that when I go shopping across the border because the system the stores use can't access foreign bank account data to confirm there's funds available to cover the transaction. When I'm out of the country,

I can only use my debit card at an ATM to get cash.