We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

I have been looking for an AO resort for my sis and I for 2 weeks during Christmas...say around Dec 19- Jan 2. It’s just come up now due to work issues that I may not know until almost the 3rd week of Nov if I will be able to go away. What are my chances of finding something with a decent price for a decent AO 2 week vacation over Christmas if booking in late Nov?

Are the prices likely to go up? I realize there may be fewer options. Which AO resorts go quick?

If you have done this, would you share your experience please?

Thanking you in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

If you book with the resort direct, you won't have to pay until just before you go, and can cancel at any time until then. Flights are different. I know with Westjet, if you want to cancel, it costs $50 or $75, and they give you a credit on account. But I wouldn't wait for a busy time like Christmas. Availability could be an issue.

Mark

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

Great question...I hope someone with more experience then myself responds to your post...I'd also be curious about the cost of airfare when booking during that time...good luck!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

Thanks for the info Mark!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

Don't expect any bargain prices this time of year!

You should be able to find a room somewhere, but you may be too late to get a flight there.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

Depending where you'd fly from (Toronto?) check out the Air Canada site for flights - you can check for packages with them for some of the resorts in PC too. It's easy to use and will tell you what's available. Yes, prices will be higher, if flights available.

Good luck!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

We have been to the DR twice at New Years. One time booked in late summer, last year we booked in late October (a few weeks before your timeline). I'd say one big issue would be to do your research on resorts first, then be ready to book as soon as you have your dates confirmed. Don't compromise on your choice of resort because it is the only one available in your price range. (we did last year and regretted it). Depending on how flexible your travel dates are, I'd say you'll certainly be able to book something. Don't overlook other departure points. Is Toronto your only option? The more flexible you are, the more choice you'll have.

As for prices, of course it is a more expensive time of year, but I have found the pricing to stay quite constant. If you look now at pricing, it won't be too much more end of November. (just my experience). And, if your time is not flexible, there are other Caribbean locations to consider......... just sayin'

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

We experienced something similar last year. We had planned for a trip in January but due to business reasons we had to change in October to travel over that Christmas. Finding a resort was easy but the flights were an issue. Be prepared to be flexible on day of flight. We ended up finding space on a Friday flight from Toronto but went to Jamaica because we couldn't get what we wanted to Punta Cana. My husband refused to fly Sunwing so that limited us too.

If we had limited availability booking in October for Christmas then I would think that November would be even less availability.

Good Luck, I hope it works out for you. We loved being away for Christmas.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

catchinrayz - I've always wanted to travel/"go away" during xmas time...but I get concerned with the airport/airplane hassles during the holidays and bad weather that may cause delays...However, I may take a gamble and go for it next year :-)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

I've heard that traveling on the day OF Christmas, and even the day after, are less busy than the days preceding the holiday, or a couple days after. Same true for New Years.

That said, those are ALL still very busy days, some just more so than others.

It's the insistence on an AO that might cause some difficulty with the rooms.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is end Nov too late to book for 2 week Christmas vacation??

Thanks all for your input!...it seems now maybe my work issues will be resolved early!...so we may be ok to book within the next couple of weeks. :-)

I really wouldn't want to try to book resort and flights separately...I think it would be too costly?

The general gist here certainly seems that prices for the Holidays won’t be going down. Friends have said...”wait for a last minute selloff...or go Christmas day...lots of deals then.” I’m too concerned that as we want 2 weeks and at a AO...we could be SOL by the sounds of comments here.

Some are a little cheaper on Christmas Day...but think it would be nice to already be somewhere before that day.

Many thanks again...hopefully we can book soon!