We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
norfolk
Level Contributor
180 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Has anyone else read the review on the Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Really not sure what to make of it!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

You're not the only one who has been wondering. That review is a variation of a post made in the forum a couple of weeks ago. I see some info was left out of the review. Honestly, I don't know what to think. If true it must be a one off. I follow this resort really closely and there has never been a problem like the reviewer claims. It's always possible they were targeted for the mucho expensive ring and jewelry in the safe. Not saying it didn't happen but am very suspicious of all the circumstances. It sure wouldn't put me off returning to CRB.

Read the thread beginning at post #25

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g3176298-i27325-k6…

norfolk
Level Contributor
180 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Thanks for your reply, it just seems very random! What happened to the husband - he never gets mentioned again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

I wonder about the husband as well. The whole thing is bizzare.

I have a friend who is in the air right now on her way to Cat Royal. My dear girlfriend and hubby are going in February. I would never have recommended they book this resort if I felt there was security problems. I don't and would highly recommend again today.

norfolk
Level Contributor
180 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Now ive had a good read through, seems to me the hubby bashed her on the nose!! Then got taken away by securtiy - she obviously wasn't that bothered as she went to the beach party afterwards. Hope the lady is ok, but im not entirely convinced by her story. The whole thing is bizarre, im booked to go next year and athough thefts do worry me, when you visit poorer countries then your own you have to understand these things sometimes do happen. Got to be vigilent and not flash expensive diamonds in peoples faces.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Someone has been watching too much CSI and daytime TV reading that review!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Better still, leave all your expensive jewelry at home. You don't need that kind of stuff at an AI resort in DR. Some costume jewelry will suffice.

As for "dear hubby", who knows? I'm certain we haven't read the entire story. We'll never know what truly transpired.

My daughter and I make certain everything is kept locked up and we double check the safe to ensure it is properly closed. I don't want to leave anything out as a temptation.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Well I wondered if we'd hear any more about that whole thing again...interesting that she left out the part about her nose and her husband being so angry at her. She also reports being a little more distraught after he was taken in her review, than she did in her post. I would guess that means they've "made up" since returning...

I can't say for sure what I would do in that situation, should it be true, and at this point for the lady, the "could of, should of, would of" is long since past, but I think I would have gone to the authorities, filed the report and taken a copy home for insurance purposes. I'm assuming the jewellery was insured, as she mentions insurance, so at least part of their financial loss could've been recouped. No, that can certainly not replace the sentimentality attached to her ring and other pieces, nor erase the trauma she reports, but at least it would be something.

All in all, it is a strange story - if it's true, I feel bad for her as she would've been alone and no doubt, very frightened. While there are pieces/parts missing, it seems a little elaborate to be concocted, and to what end really...?

Columbus OH
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

Was there just three days after her...any "issue" I had with the safe on a few occasions was clearly "user error"...there is a unique series of keystrokes detailed in the instructions...I kept forgetting to touch the "enter" key! I wasn't in villa 38, but my room did NOT have a "red light" above the door. I booked through Expedia and I NEVER saw an Expedia rep on site...didn't know one existed!

Finally...is this even a trip report??!! A forum post...possibly...but an actual review of an actual trip???

I hope CRB has the opportunity to comment!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

When i read the original post some weeks ago, I was confused. This review has left me even more confused. It has to be a one off situation, as the CR has a great reputation here on TA, still if this review is true, I feel for the poster.

I think the part I dont get the most is that the poster still rated it a 3. Wouldnt a situation like this clearly be a 1.

norfolk
Level Contributor
180 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not sure what to make of new review on Cat Royal Bavaro?

I thought the same thing MATTfromCT - she rated service a 4/5!!