We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

I keep seeing various topics or statements being made that various resorts have sold out at varying times for the fall of 2013 and into the high season for 2014.

The vast number of new tourists seem to be, by the reports I have been reading, coming from Europe and in particular, from Russia, whereby Punta Cana airport receives 12 direct weekly flights from that country alone which represents a 33% increase in the first quarter of 2013 alone !

Punta Cana has become the Russians’ top destination in the Caribbean in just five years - along with Russia becoming the Dominican Republic’s 5th largest market for visitors - Punta Cana is now rated as the top Caribbean destination for the Russia's tourists.

Reference: punta-cana-map.com/russian-tourism-to-punta-…

Now that is a market to tap into !

It is no wonder that so many resorts are near or at a sellout point so early for this apparent "off season" and certainly going into the 2014 high season, notwithstanding the on going construction of additional rooms and facilities at various resorts and the new resorts under construction.

The world knows about the beauty and the value of the Punta Cana region !

Was checking with the Bahia resorts on potential sell outs for one of their 5 resorts in Punta Cana - the Luxury Bahia Ambar - or as they refer to it as "stop selling" dates and there are a number for this year and into 2014 already.

More specifically:

November 28/13 to December 6/13

January 13/14 to January 21/14

January 26/14 to February 1/14

February 17/14 to February/23

If anyone is planning a trip to Punta Cana, it does sound like it would be wise to make the decision to do so, rather quickly.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

Great info John. Thanks and have a nice Thanksgiving weekend.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
768 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

Punta Cana has become top Russian vacation destination ,and because they have a lot of money it can become top investment country .

I bet that in 10 years majority businesses in PC will be own by Russians.

It is time to lern Russian my friends :))))

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

and a lot of businesses ARE owned by russians

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

that the DR and specifically Punta Cana is a top spot and highly interesting for russians is not new, they started 4 or 5 years ago to push over here.

a good number of businesses are owned by Russians, and many many Russians own Condos and Villas in the Bavaro and Punta Cana and Cap Cana area.

and yes, they bring the big bucks, absolutely no cheapies, a vacation package from Moscow to PUnta Cana for a couple weeks costs a fortune, and in addition they pay the big bucks/get ripped off by the own countrymen on site for their excursions sold by their own countrymen.

they are a very significant portion of the tourist market in PC and their numbers are rising season by season in incredible numbers.

Mike

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

Interesting read. Just curious, how long is a flight from Russia to PC?

Separately, is there a chance the hotel could be over-booked, John? You posted travel dates close to ours, November 28/13 to December 6/13, and I'm curious if we run the risk of not "really" having a room at the Ambar?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
768 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

Money rules the word.

Punta Cana will be a new Cyprus?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

it is not just the russians who increse their numbers.

german airline condor also added for this winter on to their anyways numerous weekly flights an other 2 or 3 planes per week.

eastern and western european markets are increasing their numbers significantly.

Mike

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

While I am not in love with crowds, I am happy to see $ pumped into PC. I am hopeful that the economy improves and the people benefit.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

Stacey B,

These are the only dates that are on a "stop sell" basis - if you have a confirmed reservation, then you are just fine.

The flight from Moscow is 12 hours.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
442 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Increases in Tourists to Punta Cana

We have been going to the DR for over 10 yrs. now (from US) and I can definitely see the increase in Americans also! When we first started coming, it was mostly Canadians and Europeans...Americans went to Cancun and Jamaica - now the word is out about the beautiful beaches and it keeps getting more and more crowded....selfishly....I wish I would have kept the secret! :-)