We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't use Expedia when booking

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
229 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Don't use Expedia when booking

This was our 4th trip to Punta Cana our 3rd time using Expedia. The first time we received a call from Expedia early in the morning to immediately come to the lobby, it was our first morning there we thought there was a problem, no they wanted to sell us excursions and transportation back to the airport. The next time we received the same call early in the morning but we chose to ignore them. This time I emailed Expedia and told them they better not call my room on my vacation, unfortunately they are not that smart, I feel bad for the guy that called but it was early and I was out late. I unloaded on him. I will NEVER use Expedia again, I will use them to price match someone else but I am done using them. I would suggest anyone booking a trip here not to use Expedia.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

I have used Apple Vacations for years and they want you there the following morning, in the lobby for the meeting about the resort, Apple Rep, excursions, etc. We have been doing this for years so we no longer partake. A day or two in I book my excursions, when he is free (no lines), if I so choose. Departing times and pick up info will not be readily available at the time they schedule this meeting, so we never bother, nothing to gain as having been though it too many times to waste even an hour of our precious time. They hate that and last April while in Playa del Carmen, they let us know that they were not happy with us. But hey, they can scold me all they want, I still got my pick up time 24 hrs before we leave.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

Certainly not nice to feel bothered while on holiday...

We were to meet our transfer company (VIP) the morning after arrival, in the lobby at 9:30 - I told the guy at the airport, kinda jokingly, that was a bit early. We agreed on 10:30 - it was just info on return transfer times, and while he mentioned their excursions of course, no pressure at all to book anything. He was a good kid and I didn't mind walking up to meet him. Not that it's any less annoying, but maybe they thought the phone call was the lesser of two evils - you didn't have to meet them anywhere, which I've heard others complain about...?

I hear your frustration -- maybe they'll take your reaction as a clue to amend their contact times...

Better luck with your next trip :D

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

We used VIP too through our TA, honeymoonsinc.com (great folks by the way, love them). We "missed" the meeting too, so we simply went to the desk the next day and got our transfer times. He said he was a bit dissapointed not to see us on the appointed day. Larry said to him "we were traveling for over 12 hours and sitting around for a meeting we would not be in any shape to listen to was not on the agenda." :D

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

LOL Dawn...hubby didn't even come with me to meet the young man - he was lounging, LOL.

Yes our TA (Dream Makers Vacation Services) assigned VIP for us as well. We had no idea what to expect, but were very pleased. The young man who showed up at the resort knew I had no intention of booking an excursion with them, and it was really no big deal. He just said to call him if we needed anything further and off I went - "easy peasy". I am hoping our TA is still using them for our trip next summer :)

I am glad we weren't bothered by any phone calls, I must admit...

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

I just look for the binder with the departure times - usually around the lobby area somewhere, all the operators have them.

We usually do stroll by the meeting just to get a look at the rep in case we need him/her for anything later in the week. 8 times and counting - haven't missed a transfer out yet!

Bugs

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

I feel your pain.. nothing worse....receiving phone calls from a timeshare type person or your travel related service. Hiding from the timeshare people because they are always after you... around every corner GRRRRRR :(

DC

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

I love Expedia.. Llleeetttssssgggooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

We book through Expedia quite a bit - have never attended a meeting or received one phone call!

We book a private return transfer with IBK - (let the tour rep know) and that's it - done

Sheryl

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

Expedia's price was better than the other TA options for my upcoming trip. Their insurance options and agent I spoke to were above some previous adventures with other options. Appreciate your pain over the phone calls, but that experience probably would not sway me away with all other considered.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't use Expedia when booking

Good to know...

I booked our resort with a travel agent, booked our airfare ourselves online and booked our own airport transfer (IBK) so we shouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing happening...but I appreciate the heads up...