We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Level Contributor
113 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

I've noticed a lot of moaning and whinging from my fellow Brits about food poisoning yadda yadda yadda... Some saying 160 people are ill, some saying 60? It is just those from Thomson/First Choice who are complaining - those lucky enough to be upgraded.

I'm baffled as everyone else seems to be ok?

Overindulgence on the Barcelo perhaps??

3 days to go!

Caz

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Ive seen that also and we go in 4 weeks. Hope whatever it is, is gone by then, or lets just hope people have been overindulging to much!!

Only seems to have been the last couple of weeks mind,

BowKay

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

We go in 5 weeks, a little concerned. We expect a bit extra toilet action just getting used to food etc however one if the Palladium Addicts had a proper bacteria infection in intestines and had to see medic. He wasn't moaning about it but doesn't know why. His wife also ill on their return. Be good if Thomson/hotel said something about it even if it's nothing.

Level Contributor
113 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Hi BowKay

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but I'm bringing some Imodium just incase. It's strange that the review this morning claiming 160 'victims' has now been removed.

I'll post from there if there are any problems. Some people just love a bit of drama!

Caz

Level Contributor
113 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Hi Mcpaints

As I just said to BowKay, Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but I'm bringing some Imodium and will be extra careful not to swallow any tap water. I saw that a couple of the PA guys have been under the weather - hopefully it's just something doing the rounds rather than an outbreak of food poisoning. I'm sure the management would definitely do something if this was the case.

It's the tropics, people over indulge and are quick to point the finger so be able to see for myself in a couple of days and will let you know.

Caz

Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

We just came back from the RST. We both encountered severe intestinal illness. I can assure you it had nothing to do with the food at the resort. Their proactive approach is excellent with Hand Sanitizers at each buffet / restaurant entrance and probably the best "quality control" of food preparation, inspection and presentation of any resort we have visited in 10 years travelling. We have never had any serious illness in the past, so I suspect it may have been a viral infection brought in and spread, much like occurs on cruise ships from time to time. Consult your physician on the best med preparation prior to travel and meds to bring with you to administer if you have an issue. It can happen on any resort, any country or any cruise ship at any given time.

Level Contributor
113 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Hi aalf

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell though and I hope you make a swift recovery. I've got a docs appointment tomorrow so I will see if they will give me some antibiotics with me to avoid any issues if we do get struck down with anything.

Hope you feel better soon

Caz

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

I am here now... haven't heard any folks complaining.. we are fine. i have a very sensitive tummy and so far so good.. Italian nite at the buffet tonite.. my favorite!

Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Nixon: Thanks.....we both recovered very quickly by resting, re-hydrating and taking our meds that we brought along. It lasted 3 or 4 days for both of us....most severe for about 48 hours. Enjoyed the rest of our vacation. Spoke with management and they were aware of the situation and were testing food samples continuously in the event it was a food related illness. I can assure you it was not the usual " tummy trouble" associated to too much sun, too much drinks and too much food. I really suspect a rapidly spreading viral condition that spread through the resort population. I can tell you that on many occasions, I went to a washroom and out of three or four people, I was the only one to wash my hands. So a resort cannot deal with an imported virus if the guests do not practice proper hygienic habits. Just pick up a set of tongs behind the person who did not wash their hands !!!

Level Contributor
113 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

Great to hear Sue - hope you're having a good stay! How long are you there for?

Caz

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's going on at the Royal Suites Turquesa

a 160 guests/"Victims"(what a wording, sounds like they are in a war on the frontline, lol) removed from the premises, that would now during low season times def mean that the Palladium Turquesa has no more guests left on the premises, all removed, as that small hotelsection now in low season will usually not have much more guests at a time.

and Sue, which is there right now, would sure see and hear that something is going on, if almost all or all of the few guests are heaviliest sick, she should have the pool and beach service to her own now.

the Palladium is a very long running and very reliable resort chain here, if there would be suspicion that a outbreak of anything would be from their food preparation etc at the Turquesa section, you can bet they would voluntarily completely shut down the Turquesa, move their guests to their other hotels on the resort and decontaminate the whole place at once, as it sure could not be in their own interest to let something spread around in one hotelsection and then get spread over the whole large resort, specially as the guests of the Turquesa section have access to most of the amenities/bars/restaurants of all the Palladium Hotels on the Resort Grounds.

and other possibility(but just a guess of course), if a good number of effected guests comes from the same country, then chances are high that the bugger in charge been brought from a common place en route, like the departure airport or the plane itself. in case of the plane he will most likely never be found, as that plane been by now carefully cleaned and desinfected on the routine cleaning shedule without suspicions that it carried a bug or such over the Atlantic.

many possibilities of course, but i do not believe there been 160 guests sick removed from the premises while others been kept there and have a nice stay, sounds a bit weird to me.

happy safe and healthy travels

Mike