We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive to breathless?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long is the drive to breathless?

We would pay for private transfer if that would help. How long should we anticipate it will take us to get there from the airport. Had horrible experience with transfer times in Jamaica (3+ hrs) and want to avoid that. Thank you

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

You're looking about an hour to the Uvero Alto area, private transfer or not. With the completion of new highway now under construction (not sure of completion date) we hear that time will be cut to 35 to 45 minutes. We have stayed out that way, and did not find the drive too bad at all - just hold on - little bit of swerving around, but lots to see :D

Edited: 17 October 2013, 00:11
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

Sorry - I should add that a shared transfer may be a tad longer if they have to stop at other resorts along the way. We were alone in our van and it was just under an hour..

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

We are going in January. When is the highway supposed to be done? An hour is not bad. Thank you!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

There are those will live there, and travel about frequently, who will surely post in to give you a more recent update, but last I heard it was still a few months out - surely more will be completed by January :) And no, no more than an hour...

We're traveling that way again in July ( so far away, lol) and can't wait to see the new road done - not that we minded the drive before, but getting there faster will be welcome. Enjoy your trip -- when we were there last, they were just starting the foundation of Breathless. There's a yellow house on the shore right near the resort property that is great for souvenir shopping - Tropical Treasures - all fixed, and very reasonable prices! Have fun :D

Edited: 17 October 2013, 00:29
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

I've been to the area (Excellence and Dreams) 7 times, and it has taken me anywhere from 50 minutes to a bit more than an hour in a taxi - more in a shared transfer. Much depends on whether the potholes in the last third or so of the trip have been filled in recently. Some taxi drivers have told me 35 minutes or so once the new highway is finished.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

not been in Uvero Alto since 3 weeks now myself, but then it was an good hour as the last part of the road been taken off, that may or may not be done now.

with the new highway finally finished(that's still a way to go) it will be a 15-20 minutes quicker, so the transfer will then last a good 40 minutes each way.

hey, that's a quarter of the prior driving time safed, but as it is not a very long distance, you can't safe "hours" or such. 40 minutes sound reasonable if i estimate the tracking of the new highway and the average speed done on such roads.

no worries about transfers of several hours, a 3hrs ride would allow to reach the center of the Capital City Santo Domingo on the other side of the Island.

happy travels

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

"Some taxi drivers have told me 35 minutes or so once the new highway is finished."

I would not want to drive with the idiot who makes it in 35 minutes....even with the new road.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

So at 40 mins the ride would only be about 10 to 15 mins longer than the average Bavaro resort?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

yes, add to the average of Bavaro Resorts 15-20 minutes and you stay within the usual range of times once the road is finished.

the transfer time difference between bavaro and uvero alto will be insignificant, what is 15 minutes more or less on any transfer? a traffic jam somewhere for what ever reason would delay any transit at any place for more time.

even now, mid Bavaro resorts have a 25-30 minutes transfer time, a 30 minutes more(yes, i know its DOUBLE, but see the fact that it is just a 30 minutes and nothing else) should not be any reason to choose one area/resort over an other, choose which resort fits best for your personal needs and don't worry about the transfers.

within the whole punta cana area and it's airport the transfer times and distances are nothing special, just travel peanuts, compared to so many destinations where some areas require Real Long transfers.

and the so many guests who arrive on morning flights or around Noon, they anyways have to wait til their room is ready to be checked in, as check in time at the resorts is 3PM in the afternoon, during busy times even that could be later.

30 extra minutes on a transfer, or IF the road is finished finally 15-20 minutes extra, that should not make any difference when coming for a week's stay from far away.

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How long is the drive to breathless?

yes, Mike, i hope once finished they bring up some daily working mobile speedtraps, specially for the Cabby and Transfer Drivers, who are by far since always the biggest danger on our roads, due their excessive speeding to hold imaginary shedules or due guests offering a nice extra tip to save an other 3-5 minutes on a transfer, which of course is ridiculously brainless. on such short distances as driven in Punta Cana, you can Not safe much time/hours, as all is near each other, its just a few miles on a road. i always hate to see them passing here with 130-150km/hr in transfer Vans and even big Transfer Busses, highly dangerous such speed with vehicles built for smooth paced rides on wide plane highways with speedlimits of 55mphr, driven by brainless saving a minute or 2, lol.

Mike