We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

We have a group of 12 looking to book for next summer. I think we have it narrowed down to Excellence and Riu Palace Macao. The cost difference is $400/couple cheaper at the Riu. Trying to figure out if we can justify this. We definitely like the idea of not having to make reservations for dinner at Excellence. Can anyone comment of the quality of alcohol and food at the resorts? We like to have fun and interact w/ others. With 12 we can usually make a party at any resort. Just trying to see if the quality difference at Excellence is worth the $400/couple?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

Bump. Any help out there?

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
442 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

although I haven't been to either excellence or riu in PC, have been to both in Mexico and excellence would win my vote! Definitely worth the extra money to us!

New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

Riu Macao is a really nice hotel great beach area great staff

Welland Ont
Level Contributor
405 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

Have been to Riu Macao before renos and both Excellence in Mexico and going to Excellence PC this week. For me the fact the Excellence has more restaurants and no reservations puts it a notch or two higher, however the new renos at Riu look pretty good and I did like the beach there and it was good for swimming and now they have a swim up bar in one of the pools.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

EPC is a great place and definately worth the $$. More dining options and the food is definately well above what you would expect at an AI. Good drinks and excellent service.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

we just returned from the excellence....although it was a gorgeous resort with lots to do, i feel that some of the food was not the best. the best food we did have while being there was the dominican feast on the beach at night and the food on our horseplay tour....but everyone has a different palate; you may enjoy the food -

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,763 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

How many nights does the US$400pc represent???

Nebraska
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

That is the difference for 5 nights.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

I can't comment on the food at Riu Palace Macao, because I haven't tried it. I have found the food at Excellence to be quite good, particularly during my last stay in June.

I'm not a fan of the style / layout of Riu Palace Macao, or Riu Palace resorts, in general. The big U-shaped building, and rectangular pool make it seem more like a hotel and less like a tropical resort. I prefer more of a tropical / cabana style. I also prefer thatch roof palapas around the pool and on the beach. And the no reservations for dinner thing is a huge consideration for me.

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence vs Riu Palace Macao

That's a lot of money. I wouldn't base my decision entirely on the reservations vs. no-reservations for dinner, since resorts with no-reservations often hand you a pager which I find just as annoying. You may find the no-reservations system even more problematic for accommodating groups.