We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Okay..so I am struggling with what to give my husband as our first wedding anniversary gift and need your help!

We are not following any traditional anniversary gift giving rules, my husband does not like to wear jewelry or watches, and we already have plenty of photo frames hung in our house of ourselves from our engagment and wedding, etc. This doesn't leave me with many options.

I was thinking of booking @ Mike's Marina, a 4 hour deep sea fishing tour for his "anniversary gift" for the two of us. He has never been...What do you think of giving this as a gift, is this a good gift? I just want to give/do something nice for him. Your opinion is appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

That is a superb gift! Mike has quite the following and recommendations! And for you may I recommend a piece of Larimar.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

I think that would be a great idea.... speaking from experience his fishing trips are awesome.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Is it catch and release, or what do you do with the fish? I don't eat sea food so IF I were to catch something, I can release it right? My husband might want to keep one to filet and cook..are there restaurants near the charter that will cook your catch for a fee?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I'm not familiar...my dad would be ashamed, as he is a sports fisherman. LOL.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Also, is there beer and/or snacks on board? Or do/can we bring our own? :)

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

What a terrific anniversary gift!! Having also been, it is a great day on the ocean. I'm sure if you contact Mike he could better explain the policies re catch/release. And yes, there is beer and cold drinks on board - although the day we went, there were way too many fishes to catch so didn't spend much time drinking beer. Did taste good on the way back in though!

Bugs

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

hi Stacey.

Mike's is the only company on the eastshores of the DR running catch & release on all Billfishes, doesn't matter the size, it is a Marina rule for the boats at our place and no exceptions are accepted. again, we are still sorrily the only place, all others are killing every billfish independend of a breeding female or undersized baby etc etc.

as for the non-Billies, the meatfish, they are owned and sold by the crew on their bill, it is the biggest portion of their salaries, and it is automatically an inspirer to keep them looking and working on Fishes, not just driving you around til the time is up.

we never have any problem if you wish to bring a fish like a Dorado/Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna etc back to the hotel to get there cokked your own caught seafood dinner/lunch, we cut and clean a fish out of your catch right here at the Marina for you, so the chef just needs to get the BBQ running and add the wished spices.

for the different inclusions on the different charter boats and their different offered services, like drinkets and foodies, please check the website for each individual charter.

the roundtrip transfers from all hotels in Cap Cana, Punta Cana, Cabeza de Toro, Bavaro/Cortecito, Arena Gorda, Macao and Uvero Alto are always already included in all charter rates.

transfers from Bayahibe/La Romana on the south shores can be arranged.

happy travels

Mike

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Remember to book early

http://www.mikesmarina.info/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Mike - Well I am a huge advocate of the animals, so my husband and I would not want to catch and keep anything that's endangered. Personally, I'm glad you have this practice and hopefully it'll catch on in PC with others.

So you are saying, if we catch anything that we (it would be my husband only since I don't eat sea food) would want to eat, we basically "buy" it from the boat, which you will clean and cut it for us?

What charter would you recommend for first timers? And what is your availability from 11/30 - 12/7? Is there an email address I can email you at for these questions?

Thanks everyone for the tips...it is appreciated!!

Stacey

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Stacey, contact Mike at

www.mikesmarina.info/tipscontactmike.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - Anniversary Gift?

Thanks!