We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Pros and Cons of booking early

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Pros and Cons of booking early

Have you ever booked more than a year in advance. I am thinking of booking this week for next November 17th. We are already booked to go this year and are leaving on the 18th of November. We are going to the same resort both times.

Any thoughts good or bad. Could we get leverage on a room location? Anything you can think of that we may not have !

Grumpy

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

hi Grumpy,

as far as the hotel is concerned, their rooms division department will get your booking maybe a week prior to your arrival, the frontdesk will gt your booking in the morning of the day you arrive to do the final assignement of the rooms of the day, when a booking took place does not matter to those departments, just the booked roomcategory to bring every guest in the booked portion.

have to admit, i never thought about booking that far ahead of time, as i never planned vacations that far ahead of time. interesting theme.

lets read what other bring up as suggestions/ideas/pros 'n' cons.

have fun

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

The only advantage I can see is the price. I'm booking for next October, and the price is very low. If, for some reason, I can't go, I can cancel.

Mark

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

who'd you book with Mark?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

I haven't booked yet. It's $194 per night at Excellence in September and October, from Canada, if booked by October 31st. That's direct with the resort. There's talk of a trip at that time among my highschool alumni, but I don't know if that's going to happen or where, so I'm thinking I'll lock in a great price.

Mark

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

We booked well ahead of a year in advance for our honeymoon last year, mostly due to excitement, lol, but also wanting to ensure flights on our planned travel dates.

For our upcoming trip in July 2014, we booked this August - this was mainly because, when I first started scouting about for flights in late July of this year (we prefer to fly direct out of Montreal) the original flight I wanted at the end of June 2014, booked up fully within two weeks from when I started looking. This prompted us to choose another date and book right away - our TA took care of the resort end of things, with prices comparable to anywhere else I looked, so it all worked out.

I've since checked, and our flights have gone up about $300 (total, not pp). They could of course go down again, but we're glad we booked when we did. It seems PC is a popular summer destination out of Montreal (our flight last August was sold out too) so now we know to plan ahead :D

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
manchester england
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

mark just checked excellence website and it states them rates are not valid for usa or canada?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

I am planning a family trip Oct 2014 and will need about 5 rooms. I have been watching the prices since last Jan using Oct 2013 as a benchmark ,since Oct 2014 pricing was not available. Ambar or Esmerelda started at $1500 but about 2 mos. before Oct it dropped to about $1200. As a test I had my travel agent check availability and gave her 5-5star hotels in PC. All had lots of availability. So I am assuming at least for Oct time frame it must be low season so my thoughts are I should wait and book about 2 mos. before.

I used Expedia and itravel for 7 nights incl taxes out of Toronto.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

"grumpy", is there some reason you need to do this before your upcoming trip, like a special deal expiring?

I'd at the very least wait until returning from "the same resort" because you never know.... also you might be able to wrangle a 'deal' with the resort directly while you are there, just a thought.

We book early but never THAT early. 5-7 months out for us.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

Gary, yes October is lower season because it is still hurricane season. (which means higher probability of more rain). So resorts lower their prices and also do renovations and such during this low time.

The window of time between ending of hurricane season and the start of the holiday higher season is of course more popular, especially with so many talking it up here on TA.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Pros and Cons of booking early

maximurph,

The rates are valid for Canada. Some of my family have already booked it. I don't know about the USA or the UK.

Mark