We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

I was reading some reviews/posts and many have complained about the "reserving" poolside/beach loungers at 7:00AM with a towel.

Now this used to bother me to a certain degree on a few of my holidays at AI's. However, last year at VIM I didn't care about being polite anymore and it worked great!

Basically if there were chairs with towels on them and nobody in sight, I'd just take them. Of course if there were people next to them, I'd ask if they were taken and 9/10 times they weren't. I figured if someone came by to claim them in the next 15 min, I'd leave, otherwise too bad. Never once did anyone come by, WIN.

Secondly, a lot have complained about the reserved loungers for "Gold Club" people. These are at every resort, all with a different name. At any rate, at VIM the hotel would actually put your name on a Palapa at the beach and the pool to reserve it for you the whole time you were there, if you paid for the upgrade. But yet again 9/10 times these were always vacant, and are typically premium spots.

We'd take these too, with the exception, if we were called on it by the rightful owners, we'd move without question and if we went for a swim, we'd pack up our stuff and set it aside in case they came by while we were gone. The staff would never ask if you belonged there and there were no wrist bands, etc, so why not?

What do you do about the towel/chair game?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

Based on another post you made, you'll be at Excellence in December. I'll be there for part of that same time. You won't have a problem finding a good spot at this resort. They have lots of palapas, cabanas, etc. It reduces the amount of early reservers.

We do get up early, often with the sunrise. We use whatever spot we get from sunrise until about 4:30pm, except for breakfast and lunch, or the odd walk on the beach or trip to the swim-up bar. During my last visit, I noticed that there were many palapas available at all times of the day, so there's no need to move someone's stuff. I haven't witnessed any problems at Excellence with this, most likely because they have so many available for the number of guests, and there really isn't a bad spot.

Mark

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

You might want to look at one of the last discussions on this topic....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k62544…

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

We just try and avoid it by going to a resort where it doesn't happen :D

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

Mark,

I kind of gathered that from the reviews, which is great. Most resorts I've been weren't that bad around the pool, with the Exception of El Dorado Seaside, which has the smallest pool I've ever seen at a resort. But there are always better seats, closer to the action, closer to the bar, depending on what you wanted, and those were the chairs that were always toweled. I'm less inclinded to move peoples stuff, unless its a single T-shirt or a towel.

Maybe I'll see you at Excellence when we're there, maybe I'll buy you a drink at the swim-up bar! ;)

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

Wow, I should've done a search, at least 400 pages of discussion on the subject! lol

I was wondering peoples thoughts about taking back the lounger! Put a towel on it if you want, but I'll take that sucker if you're not reasonable about the length of your "reservation". :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

as for the usual AI resort, where all palapas and loungers etc are for everyone, what is occupied by belonngings but not used for a lengthy time frame, it can be removed, people who leave their belongings without any supervision are on their own fault when something gets missing.

BUT,

if such loungers/palapas/spots etc are marked with the names of the people they belong to, then i name it very bad educated to use such place. i have here on our beach also during the weekends our chairs(with our names on them) down on the beach(on the private part, not down by the water on the public beach) all day long, if the Mrs or the Kittens use them or not, and i would get very pissed and unfriendly to find some stranger sitting there. the same for specially reserved loungers at some resorts, marked with the names of the Guests they belong to, those guests pay a premium to the resort to have 24/7 their own reserved loungers on the beach/by the pool etc, such of course should never be touched by an other guest, it is private property and not part of the average AI_Package of other guests, so such reservation has to be respected, even if the guests the chairs belong to would not use it all day long on some days.

happy travels

Mike

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

Funny that you mention the VIM because when we were there we saw a huge fight between two groups - a group of people left their chairs (there were about six of them) to go in the pool and they were not gone long and this other gang threw off the towels and took the chairs and would not give them the chairs back. It was miserable to be sitting close by and having to listen to that.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

I do think it's not right to put your stuff on chairs at say, 7 am and then go back to bed until noon. But I also would be annoyed if I had been using a chair all morning and then was swimming, or at the pool bar, or grabbing some food, and when I came back a half hour later my things were gone. If someone comes upon my empty chair in the 20 minutes I'm gone, how long do they wait before they take my chair? I don't know how long people wait before removing your things but I would hope they are taking into consideration that not everyone stays on the chair all day long. I think you should be free to come and go as you please, just not leave it for 5 hours in the morning.

Last March I was at the Fiesta Americana Condesa in Cancun over Easter week so it was packed. I get up at 6 am just because I can't sleep late, so I would go down and get a spot and read for a few hours until my fiance woke up and then we would go to breakfast, then back to the chairs for the day. Many, many other people would come down in the early morning while I was reading on my chair and they would reserve their spots, leave, and not come back for hours. By 8 there were not many spots left. It didn't bother me personally because I had a spot but I can see how it could be frustrating to someone coming down at 8:30, which isn't really late, and not being able to find a spot.

Indiana
Level Contributor
341 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

I have never been to a resort where I felt the need to take a lounger that had someone's stuff on it. I have found that there are usually spots available if I look. These may not be the most desirable seats and that is what I think many people get upset about. They do not like the fact that others may get up earlier than them and get the best spots. So they feel entitled to take those chairs if they do not see them occupied. This can start some pretty bad arguments at resorts.

People have a tendency to leave their seats to go to eat, go for a swim, use the bathroom, or walk on the beach. They are trusting that they will have a place to return to and that their personal belongings will not be bothered by other guests. When they return and find someone has moved their stuff and taken their seats it can get unpleasant. This actually happened to us at the Valentin a couple of years ago. I was angry considering the fact that there were open loungers not 6 feet away. I guess they just liked our seat's location better. We came back from a quick lunch and found our stuff thrown out on the sand and someone sitting in our seats. There were some harsh words exchanged.

I think if it is just an unoccupied chair with a towel, there is some room for doubt and if no other seats are available and you ask people around the chair if someone is sitting there and they say that the chair has been unoccupied for a lengthy time, then perhaps it would be ok to take the chair. But if there are personal items on the chair such as books, sunscreen, as well as a towel, I think people should respect that. and consider that chair occupied.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AI Chair/Towel Game Discussion

And let the games begin! A very delicate topic here that has been beaten to death but always fun to see new opinions. Mine is the same. I could care less where my lounge is as long as we get two together for us. If we have to walk a few feet to the pool or beach, so what??? Now if there are no lounges and I see some spot that has towels on them for around two hours, I have no qualms about removing (or asking a staff member to remove) said towels and taking the lounges. When we are done, we would remove our things and leave them for others to use. I would never wait for less time because I think folks have the right to grab a bite or get drinks, take a walk, go to the bathroom or whatever and come back to their lounges. An hour or two is acceptable in my opinion. More than that is simply rude.