We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agent or Kayak

Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Agent or Kayak

Going to book Ocean Blue for mid February. Travel agent was $3500 (not in my town found online) and Kayak was $3000 for 2 adults & 1 teenager for a week. Which would you go with and why?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

for the same hotel and on the same flight for the same room category, take the one which offers the better price.

have fun

Mike

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

Like Mike says "take the one that offers the cheapest price"

If you search mutlitple sites, orbitz, expedia, apple, cheap caribbean, priceline, bookit, etc, etc at times you will notice that there is a couple hundred dollars difference in prices.

Book the cheapest. Or if you have a preferred company you like booking with give them a call and see if they will do a price match on the package you found. If they do lowest price guaranteed even better you might get additional savings.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 10:10
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

Go with what gives you the best deal for the least money. In UK if we have a preferred TA or booking site we try to get a price match. If you're getting a better package( upgraded room, perks in resort, better flight times etc) then thats why it's $500 more! If not then go with cheapest and keep $500 in your pocket to spend

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

I always search on line for the best price then call my TA. Almost always she has "found" a better or equal price ( I do not tell her my search results). For me the advantage of online booking is typically a rewards program (Upromise, Bill Me Later) The downside to booking on line ( I have booked on Expedia, Orbitz, Bookit.com and Hotels.com) is support and bumping. I was stranded outside the country during 9-11 with all my information coming from my TA.

Typically hotels bump online reservations first, direct hotel bookings second and TA bookings as the last option. The hotels are very aware of contracts with various providers and deem it good business to protect the guests booked via companies with the larger contracts.

Having said that, if it is my first trip to an area or specific resort I will use a TA if the price difference is under $150 total just for peace of mind. If confident with the area and resort I always book the lowest price and definitely go with lowest if the total difference exceeds $150.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

I agree with Laney on that the point if it's your first time traveling to an area, it's nice to have that more personal contact and know that everything is taken care of, including for us, transport, room requests, etc. Not that other providers don't have agents you can talk to, but we felt more comfortable with a TA for our first PC trip last year. He is online yes, but we were in constant contact and he even called our room twice to make sure everything was to our liking. It helped that he had been to the resort and a few others in PC, so we had every confidence in his ability to advise and take care of everything. (Dream Makers Vacation Services)

We had looked at prices on various sites before booking as well, and he was able to offer very comparable rates. While we could've probably gone ahead and booked our upcoming trip on our own this time as we know what to expect, we've gone back to him for our return trip in July. The resort rates offered were again on par with everywhere we looked, and we know he will take care of everything..

It's completely up to you - have a great trip !!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

See if they will match?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

Get yourself a local TA, they will work for you. I find my price then call her, she works her magic and uses her contacts and she has never let me down. Maybe old fashioned but I like the personal touch as well as the feeling of security knowing that if something goes wrong I have her cell # and her instructions to call her immediately if we need help or something just isn't right. A website can offer you an 800# but will they be there for you when you need them in a foreign country? My TA became my friend long ago and its a valued relationship.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

There is no one answer. I have dealt with website TA's who were as good as a local resource. If you are confident with your choices and have the time to search, the control of using the internet can be valuable and economical. While there is a place for local TA's, like many industries (cars, home goods, etc) the internet has changed the rules and allowed more options to buy. I do not think one source has a monopoly on value or service.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

Laney,

here i disagree.

most bumpings are anyways not done by the hotels, they are done by the sellers/TA's etc who overbooked their purchased room category at a specific hotel.

prepaid online bookings and direct bookings prepaid prior to arrival are the prefered bookings for every hotel, as they have the cash right away, on TA/Touroperator etc bookings they get money for the already provided services weeks and months after the guests already left the premises.

Mike

10. Re: Travel Agent or Kayak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:15