We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterford...
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

My wife and I are headed to Breathless Dec. 18-23. (Can't wait to see some pics!) This is our second trip to Punta Cana. Our first was a wedding group trip at Excellence. So we are headed back to the Uvero Alto region again this time. Our question is whether it's worth leaving the resort to go to Bavaro Beach since we haven't seen it yet. Is it a lot different? Lots of people like Cancun?

Thanks in advance!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

IMO - NO - another beach lined with a lot of AI hotels.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Josh G - we too have stayed in the Uvero Alto area and are returning in July. We had thought about getting "out and about" also, and are thinking of maybe a taxi into El Cortecito/Los Corales for a day, just not sure of cost - we were just looking for a shopping, bar, restaurant type of thing. I see on the map there are beach restaurants that would allow for a "Bavaro experience", for lack of a better term, lol. There's Jelly Fish, Soles Chill Out, etc.

We're still in the planning stages, but looks like a good way to spend a day seeing another part of PC :D

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

from the Breathless you face at nleast a $40.- cabby fare each way to drive to "Bavaro Beach", which is used as the name for the whole region from Areana Gorda to Cabeza de Toro.

what you have in mind to do at an other beach area? shopping, barhopping, a restaurant visit?

i would not name it worth is to pay high canny fares just to spend a couple hours on a other beach, even that the original Bavaro Beach(Barcelo Beach Resort) is of course a postcard picture beauty, it is great to sit on that Beach at the jellyfish restaurant and have lunch, nice for a walk with a big beach vendor market aside the Barcelo Beach Resort, but i would not name it worth the long ride and money spend from the far away isolated area where the Breathless is located. and you would be in danger from then on to hate the tiny brown beach at Breathless, once you have seen a pure white piece of Bavaro Beach with its calm turquoise shimmering waters.

stick with the beach at your booked hotel, and next time you can switch the area to visit an other hotel located in a different beach area.

Mike

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Heres the map lacey is talking about.

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

@Lacey If you wanted to spend the day in the El Cortecito area your probably best taking a taxi to Steve's Bar and starting from there.... Some taxis might not know it. Just say the Bar just up the street from Mangu nightclub. They all know the Mangu.

You would have to take shorter rides later to get to Jellyfish or so forth but for the start of the day there is lots of shops and stuff around Steves to walk around a bit

From Excellence to Steve's bar older posts indicate 35 to 40ish minute ride. Don't know when the new highway will be finished or how far near complete it is which will save some time. I'm sure someone will confim.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 11:40
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Thanks Bigjim - that's what we figured :) Either that, or start at Jellyfish for lunch and take a taxi back up towards Steve's Bar for after lunch drinks and maybe a bit of shopping - looking to get to a grocery store perhaps too. It's fun to read and plan out the options and yes, by July we're hoping the new highway will make this an easier little jaunt :D

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Thats a good option to Lacey, lunch first so the tummy is filled for those nice cold green Presidentes at Steve's lol.

Since you will be at Jellyfish your very close to Palma Real Mall... (It's expensive though) but since your right there and passing the day off resort I guess there is no harm in just looking around. There is also a Hard Rock Cafe there.

I know from Paradisus Palma Real and Melia resort you can walk to the mall. JellyFish is near Melia so I presume you probably could walk from there as well.

If your brave take a motoconcho (Not from Uvero) I mean like from the mall or jellyfish to Steve's area.. Nice sitting on the back of the bike enjoying PC. Cheaper then a taxi :-) Just tell them to drive slow, they will and always remember to get off the opposite side of the muffler lol.

When I was in Cabarete last month our hotel was about 2km from the town. I can't even try to explain how awesome it was driving on the back of the bike down the highway with with the beach to the right and the mountains to the left.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 12:04
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Oh goodness Bigjim, LOL - not sure we're THAT brave!! Mind you, we were impressed with the one we saw that held two riders and about 50-70 loaves of bread, lol. Or the one with four riders, a cooler and a water jug. Now THAT'S some driving!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

Then You'd love seeing (in some Asian countries) entire families on one motorbike. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

We took a taxi up to the Cortecito area for a day trip. It was worth it to see what I wasn't missing. It was a learning experience. To each their own. We learned we prefer the more remote resorts. Others will feel differently, no right or wrong. It's always worthwhile to see if the grass is greener somewhere else.

Waterford...
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Bavaro Beach worth it?

The reason I am wondering is to scout for future trips (hopefully), like Mike mentioned. Last Christmas we stayed in Montego Bay in Jamaica and didn't really like it all that much, but we did a day trip to Negril and we will definitely return there. I had to judge an entire region of the country on our one little resort. So $80 for a cab, maybe another $80 for food and some of those famous green bottles and a day wandering the beach and the El Cortecito area...sounds better than getting herded around on a hotel excursion.

Anything to not miss down there? It seems like Jellyfish and Steve's Bar are pretty popular choices.

Thanks again for all the responses!