We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

Had anyone done this tour? My Boyfriend and I really want to go whale watching as we will be there at the right time. It looks like all of the tour are out of Samana. If anyone has any insight on this I would be very grateful!

We are staying at the Punta cana Princess.

Thanks in advance!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

yes, as the mainpopulation of the humpback whales visiting our caribbean waters every year, stay around Samana Bay, the best shot to see thosebeauties is a flight excursion to Samana. it isoffered by every touroperator's representative at your hotel, you can choose any of them, as they all sell the same packages.

as you state you visit at the right time, i guess you will visit between end January and mid/end March, which is the time frame when the mainpopulation is present.

happy travels

Mike

Kelowna, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

Thank you so much for your insight. We are looking to book this tour, puntacanatours.com/whale-watching-samana-pen… I am a little nervous about the small plane. Have you heard good things? Wanting to make sure it is worth the $600 it will cost us!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

no concerns in case of safety when flying in those "lil planes", i find the safer than the big turbine monsters which bring you down south on vacation. those planes fly on daily bases several flights for excursions and local/national flights between different national airports, without any troubles.

as for beeing it worth $600.- per person to get a chance to maybe see the Humpback Whales, that's your pesonal decision and calculation on your budget to decide if the chance to see them is it worth the money for you.

have fun

Mike

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

Mike - Whale watching is on my "Bucket List" but i don't think it's going to happen as we don't arrive until 7th May? What would the chances be at this time of year do you think??

Sal

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

zero chances, and those tours are anyways not offered anymore in May, as the Whales will already back in their usual cold waters by then.

Mike

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

I thought so Mike... haha x

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

@ the OP - if you're nervous about the plane, which I'm sure as Mike says is perfectly safe and sound, have you not looked into a boat tour to see the whales? I'm guessing you're looking for the view from the plane, but I saw whales on a tour in Maine, and it was very impressive to be at water level also - just a thought - have fun :D

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

Lacey, the whale watching tours are done by boat to see them, but to reach the Samana Bay where the whales are present, you hopp on a plane to fly up north to Samana.

there are also bus tours offered, but they are a real loooong day for a maybe 90 minutes boatride to see the whales, but offered.

you can also see the whales from the plane of course, sometimes, but taht's not part of the tour, it is the luck of the moment when your plane goes down over samana bay and you have some whales up there at that moment, some pilots even do a extra turn to give you a better view of that. but the flight is not the whale watching itself, the lil planes are the transfer vehicle to bring you from Punta Cana to the region where the boats for whale watching are ankered.

and other great variation to see the whales, without a flight needed, is to book a full day Xtreme Buggy Whale Watching Tour, the buggy ride itself is a fantastic day spent and then you get the whale watching by boat as an extra addy on top.

Mike

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

Ah - ha! Gotcha Mike - I wondered why the plane, lol :D

Minnesota
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching Samana Peninsula by Plane

We leave next week for 10 days. Is one operator better than the other? The flight and Bacardi Island seem like a great way to spend the day.