We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best currency to take

Derbyshire
4 posts
Save Topic
Best currency to take

I'm going to the Dominican on the 13th of this month. Different travel agents have advised us different things on which currency to take. We're going all inclusive and don't plan to leave the resort apart from to do the trips advertised (I.e dolphin swimming, buggy adventure) should we take all US dollars or some pesos too? Thank you!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best currency to take

This is often a highly debated topic :)

Just our two cents, but we are from Canada and took USD only - it is widely accepted for excursions and in fact, practically all of the excursions I have seen advertised, are payable in USD. Should you choose to tip the resort staff, they are very appreciative of USD. If you were going to spend more time off resort, then perhaps yes, pesos would make more sense - for the purpose you describe above, I would say USD. Remember, if you should use an ATM for any reason, they dispense pesos only, and always let your bank and credit card companies know your travel dates in order to avoid holds on their use due to foreign transactions.

Enjoy your trip! :D

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best currency to take

We pay for our excursions through the hotel and use our credit/ debit/ bank card. Cash needs always use USD.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best currency to take

used credit card for excursion at the hotel. buggy excursion- YOU GET DIRTY, make sure you have a bandana for your face-keep mud out of your nose and mouth! bring OLD t shirt to wear.... water shoes worked good for foot wear. also sunglasses kept mud out of our eyes! it was a total blast!!!!! don't let my "warnings' scare you. if you don't have a bandanna they sell them for 5 dollars american at the place we went -punta cana buggies. (not funbuggies)

for on resort spa service, they charged to your room, i just paid cash at check out (pedicure (at bahia principe-ambar).

everything was in US dollars- we did tip a dollar here and there to the beach waiters, the towel guy(we got as many towels as we wanted- only tipped him a couple of days and only a dollar) a dollar or two at buffet service, 5 dollars to ala carte and 5 to the maid (the maid service tip made the most different -she ensured that we had what we wanted in our fridge- and in the room (we left her notes with her tip). i don't thnk the tipping elsewhere made any significant difference in our treatment by staff. we were always friendly and for the most part so were they. overall, given my habits at home, i tipped. i don't think anyone has to though .... i brought about 60 singles and 20 fives....... but shops will break 20's for you and give you US change, unlike in some countries. where change must be in native currency.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best currency to take

Regardless remember that you will need $10 USD to enter per person for your tourist card and $20 USD per person for your exit tax to be paid at the airport when you leave.

other wise if you are not leaving the resort USD are fine. You will find better prices off the resort if paying in pesos.

BObK

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best currency to take

We've done AIs in PC about a dozen times and never had to exchange our US$.

Always bring small bills for tips, of course. NO COINS!!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best currency to take

by what the OP asked for, as not leaving the resort aside of the on site booked excursions, the answer to the question is simple:

You do only need US$ as the only necessary currency on your vacation.

happy travels

Mike

7. Re: Best currency to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 05:16