We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

Fair Lawn, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel?

ok I'm going to the DR with about 10 guys for a bachelor party. We've narrowed it down to Melia Caribe Tropical or Ocean Blue All Inclusive resorts. Which of the two or another hotel should we go to party at. Big drinkers and partiers and dont wanna be around many kids which is nearly impossible at a place like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

the melia and the ocean blue are two of the typical family/children resorts, so for your big party time they would be the wrong chice.

as you are a small group of just 10 guys, i would suggest to book one of the smaller places where 10 are still a crowd, like the VIK, the Barcelo Punta Cana, the Barcelo Dominican Beach, the Vista Sol.

at the bigger resorts you will find a party, too, but as just 10 you will sink under the real big party crowd, depends what you name a party and if you wanna run it or if you wanna just see it.

there are also well lively clubs around like Imagine and Mangu(right at the Occidental Grand hotel, an other spot for your crew to consider), hwere always a party is going on.

have fun

Mike

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

I agree that Occidental sounds like a better fit for a bachelor party.

By the way, I see you're from Fair Lawn. Born and raised, graduate of FLHS. Go Cutters!

Fair Lawn, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

yeah i bought a house here 5 years ago. im origanally from Elmwood Park.

Fair Lawn, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

i see the bigger hotels the greater chance of running into other party people. but i will look into those hotels as well. thank you

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

Without having been to either Ocean or Melia, if that was my only two options I'd lean a tad bit more to Melia solely for the fact that outside it's main gates in the Palma Real Mall is a mega tourist club called Jewel. Melia also looks somewhat nicer then Ocean and based on their website they have 14 bars while Ocean has 9. However an important thing to check is what time they stay open till. Melia could have 14 but if they all close at 1am then thats no good lol. I know Ocean has a sports bar open to 6am.

Both resorts are also in somewhat close proximity (taxi wise) to local bars, shops and stuff in El Cortecito area.

However if other places are an option then Mike and Pooz hit the nail on the head that there is always a party at Occidental... At the front entrance of Occidental is the popular Mangu nightclub and if you were to walk up the street you'd hit the local bars. Also great location to walk up the street in the day to shops, restaurants etc.

On a downside of Occidental is bars on the resort close at 1am then it's the Mangu where you do get free entry but have to pay for drinks. So you have to put spending money in your budget for drinks each night. Where for example if you were at Ocean where you could get drinks to 6am and make your own party, then a couple nights go off resort to a popular club, might be more practical. (But as mentioned above there might be more family or less of a party at those two resorts you mentioned)

At that point it's basically weighing the options and placing them in matter of importance. Example - Is a resort where it might be or might not be decent nightlife with you being able to get drinks for free to the early morning hours more appealing then a resort where you know there will be constant nightlife but after 1am you have to pay for drinks?

You also have to consider what else you plan on doing while on vacation. I know myself it's mostly partying to the early morning hours at various off resort locations but there is also days that I don't go out very late. Days when I have an early excursion the next morning, or plans to go off resort shopping and stuff however I still like to be able to chill out and have some drinks past 1am without having to go to the club and pay.

Also more then likely you will meet other people at your resort that you will be hanging out with so that is also another factor to consider. If there is any single guys in your group they might meet a group of girls. You might want to hang out at a bar on the resort at night and have a good time with drinks. If your at a place that everything shuts down at 1am except the club then there really is not a place to get to know one another cause you can't really have a convo in a club with the music booming lol.

On the other hand there is two popular tourist clubs Imagines (in a real cave) and Jewel (Palma Real Mall) that offer transportation to and from your resort in their drink packages so staying at Occidental (Or any resort for that matter) you can take advantage of the free transportation to those clubs and save on taxi fares.

Best of luck with your choice :)

Keep in mind its your group that makes the party not a resort!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

As my friend says, Melia is a Swiss Army Knife of resorts. I have been there on a guys getaway, and we had a great time. I know a girl who went there with a group of about 20 girls, and they loved it. Much of the family stuff is on the Tropical side. The night life is pretty good, and as Jim points out, Jewel is in walking distance, right outside the gates.

Mark

Fair Lawn, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

i just looked up reviews on the OCCIDENTAL and from what i read its horrendous. lol so im scracthing that one off the list. i mean we are all pretty big drinkers that will probably start drinking at breakfast or soon after so the 6am bar is definitely not looking good. maybe one or two of the nights but im looking at us being sh*t faced and sleeping by 1am. lol

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel?

Well if you revert back to the original 2 that you were considering if you were to stay at the Melia which previous threads on Trip Advisor members mentioned they have had some great times there then that is a good option with the 14 bars. They also have a disco on site (not sure the size of it) but it should suffice.

Then for the nights your capable LOL of making it past 1am you can head out the main gates to Jewel nightclub.

https:/…358956080853446

Or you can book a package for Imagine nightclub and go party in a cave (with transport to and from your resort)...

http://www.imaginepuntacana.com/

They have one package which is 60$ that is cover, 1 week transportation, and 1 night open bar.

If it's the beginning of the week (Monday) when Imagines is closed or nothing happening at Jewel then there is usually always something happening at Mangu... You can take a short taxi ride to there to check it out. If it's not great then just up the street is local bars.

Even before that a short taxi ride from Melia will get you to Onno's which is a bar on the beach. (Haven't been to it yet) Been to their Onno's in Cabarete last month and was great times. Appears to be similar but you can check out there facebook to see if it appeals to you as it's not a nightclub but they do have a DJ playing some nights.

https://www.facebook.com/Onnosbavaro

Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel?

I am on the Melia bandwagon. I love it there!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel?

PS - Imagines offers the cheapest VIP table/bottle service. You guys should check that out for a Bachelor party event.

For daytime maybe rent a private catamaran for you group which drinks included of course. You can get a 4 hour block for 65$ per person... or they have 6 hours at 100$... That is for groups of 9 and up based on there website prices.

catamarantourpuntacana.com/catamaran-teresa/