We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer Please Help

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer Please Help

Myself and the hubby are looking to visit Punta Cana end of May 2014, no children, we are mid 40's. Have researched a few hotels but can anybody give me some good advice on where to stay.

The following is what we would be looking for:

Good Food

Premium Alcohol (hence nice cocktails)

Good Entertainment

Attentitive Staff

Clean/Modern rooms

On the beach would be good but not essential.

Thanks for any information provided.

Debs

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer Please Help

Hi debs170471. Do you have a budget in mind? Do you prefer adults only or does it not matter? Would you prefer to make reservations for your meals? This might help you narrow it down a bit more.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer Please Help

And, if any of this matters to you, proximity to airport/calm or wavier ocean conditions/ swim-up rooms available or number of pools/smaller resort or large resort or smaller within larger ok...

What hotels have you researched thus far...?

It's always fun to plan and everyone on here will be more than willing to help with any specific questions you may have :D

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer Please Help

Hi guys thanks for your replies.

Adults only or with children doesnt really matter, niether does proximity to airport (but prefer max of 2 hours tops transfer time)

Probably wont require swim up rooms, budget around £2500 - £3000 for 11 nights.

Wouldnt mind making reservations for dinner, but would also like to have the choice of a buffet.

Calm ocean preferred.

The hotel top of my list at the moment is the Royalton, but bit nervous booking as not opened yet.

Deb

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer Please Help

Hi debs1704771,

Welcome to the PC forum..... had a peek at your history to give a clue to what your taste is in hols! When I saw you had the pleasure of one of the Voyage hotels( Beleck) got your drift at once lol!! I'm a great fan of the brand too.

You will love the DR and the beaches of Punta Cana are really good To get the impressive range of premium drinks and high level of service as is the norm in the higher end hotels of Turkey you will be better at the more higher end ( and more expensive resorts in PC) all have their fan base on here who can give you lots of info.

The Royalton may give you a good package but I'd wait to read reviews before booking.

I love the DR and the vibe and fabulous ambience of this beautiful country will captivate you I'm sure. It's like nowhere else!!

Happy travels :)

Edited: 16 November 2013, 10:08
Rayleigh Essex UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer Please Help

Hi Debs 170471

Look at Thomson/First Choice for the Bahia Principe Amber, Adults only Hotel you wont be dissapointed, been there a few times already and returning very soon.

look at reviews from "Brooklin punta cana expert for any help"

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer Please Help

Just to add to # 4 I will be at the Palladium in January and though it's my first time here I'm pretty sure it will be fine for our needs at the moment. Next September I will be at the Iberostar Dominica with a friend. This was booked because of price ( v good deal) and brand ... I generally think they delver a good service for what you pay. Both resorts are middle pf the road but do have higher end properties ( RST at Palladium and the Grand at the Iberostar)

The Catalonia Bavaro has generally calm waters, I was there a few years ago and the beach is fantastic they have the Royal section which offers an upgraded experience and has many repeaters I believe.

My other winter hols are usually to other areas of the DR so I'm really looking forward to a change this next year and hoping it all works out ( like you lol) !!

Edited: 16 November 2013, 10:36
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer Please Help

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Gosh its soooooo hard to choose a hotel in Punta Cana!!!

Am I right in thinking if you book the Bahia Amber you are on a complex with other hotels and you can use their facilities?

Anybody got any info on Secrets Royal Beach?? Its a minefield because when I read reviews on TA they are so conflicting some people say the food is amazing and others slate it so any info appreciated.

Hi Drummermum yes love Voyage Belek, may grab a cheeky week later on in the year ha

Deb

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer Please Help

Poster Brooklin will have all the details for you about the Ambar.

Food is too subjective to really comment on what the reviews say - everyone has different preferences/tastes, and unfortunately, people go with the expectation that the food will taste like/be prepared like everything at home.

Secrets Royal Beach is quite popular - always been on our "radar", lol. Another good option I would have to say..

Good luck in your search - it CAN be daunting, but all part of the fun!! Keep asking questions, as research is key :D

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer Please Help

The Bahia Principe is the largest resort complex in Punta Cana, in terms of rooms. It has about 3100 rooms, and a tiny beach. It's the most crowded / busy beach I've experienced in Punta Cana, although the Ambar section is less crowded than the main section. And the waters are not calm. Looking at Expedia.co.uk, Ambar is higher than your budget in late May.

Secrets has calm waters and a much nicer beach. It has 3 a la carte restaurants, and a buffet. No reservations required. You also have access to restaurants at Now Larimar, but many people say the food at Now isn't as good. Based on Expedia, it looks like it's higher than your budget.

Iberostar Grand Bavaro is very nice, posh resort, but would be well outside your budget.

Barcelo Bavaro Beach (adult only) and Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe would be within your budget, and on an extremely nice, uncrowded stretch of beach, with year round calm waters. Lots of restaurants, reservations required.

Catalonia Royal Bavaro would also have calm waters, and it would be within your budget. Most of the restaurants are next door at the family friendly Catalonia Bavaro. No reservations required.

Punta Cana Princess would be within your budget. Reasonably calm waters, no reservations required for dinner. I believe the rooms have been recently renovated.

Royal Suites Turquesa looks to be outside your budget. It has reasonably calm waters, and a nice beach. There are only two restaurants there, with access to restaurants at the other three Palladium resorts. No reservations required.

Excellence Punta Cana drops in price from May 1 onward, so it would likely fall just within your budget. However, the waters are rougher there. Very uncrowded beach with lots of palapas, and very little traffic. The rooms have all been recently renovated, but they are not done in a modern style - more Spanish Colonial. It has buffet options for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner, except for on theme nights once or twice a week. Instead it has 8 a la carte restaurants, no reservations required.

Breathless Punta Cana is brand new (opened yesterday) and very modern in style. Lots of restaurants, no reservations required. I think this would be a bit outside your budget though. Also has rougher waters.

Majestic Colonial and Majestic Elegance both have Club options, which are adult only, although most of the amenities are shared with the family side. These would probably fall within your budget. Lots of restaurants, and no reservations required. The waters are not all that calm there though.

The Royal Service (adult only) at Paradisus Punta Cana would be outside of your budget, but the non adult only would be in your budget, I think. Lots of restaurants, no reservations. Nice beach with reasonably calm waters.

Mark

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer Please Help

Wow Mark thanks ever so much for all that info, still doing my research, but will hopefully getting something booked this week!! If a hotel seems to be exceptional we may stretch the budget.

Deb