We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

Urgent help assisted.....

People who have stayed at both to reply or people who know each resort in detail to reply -

I am stuck on 2 hotels - Excellence & Paradisus Palma Real....

Both of these resorts sound amazing but I seeing on the map that Excellence is a lot further away?

I need to hear true and real feed back as I am coming all the way from Australia next July...

Cheers

Rebecca

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

Hi Rebecca :)

Maybe I can help a little bit with some basic information...

I have stayed in the Uvero Alto area where Excellence is located and am returning in July. If you are interested in Excellence, don't be put off by its location - it used to be about an hour from the airport, but with the recent opening of a new highway, this travel time has been lessened to about 40-45 minutes. Taxis are readily available, as are any excursions you might want to take. True, there is not much to do in the immediate area, but there are certainly means to get "out and about" to the "busier" areas of El Cortecito/Los Corales (shopping, bars, restaurants) should you not mind paying for the taxi. We're thinking of a day trip ourselves when we go this summer.

I will admit to you that I have not stayed in either resort - there are others on here who have, and will be more than willing to assist you with any detailed questions, but I have done a LOT of reading as we plan for future trips, lol...

- Excellence is Adults only/PPR is not unless you do Royal Service

- Excellence does not require reservations for dinner/PPR does

- Excellence beach has much, much wavier surf

- Sand in the area where Excellence is, is a light, light brown-sugary beige ( but very soft and beautiful !) as opposed to white, "postcard" sand at PPR

Anyway, hope this helped a bit - they are both beautiful, highly popular resorts and I'm sure you'd enjoy your stay at either !! Good luck with your decision and have fun planning - PC is an amazing place, with wonderfully warm and friendly people :D

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

Excellence is a lot further from the airport than the Paradisus

Palma Real

While Excellence is a beautiful resorts it has it's limitations, the waters are quite rough and have rip tides that are very dangerous.

The Paradisus on the other hand is also a beautiful resort, and has a magnificent white sand beach, it is also closer to the center of activities.

See these map to check out the location of each

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

basically, you can't go wrong at either, both provide good services and are rated high.

as for the transfer time from the airport, due the newly opened highway the transfer time difference is unsignificant, you need 25 minutes to arrive at the Paradisus Palma Real Resort and you need maybe 15 extra minutes on a smooth new road to arrive at the Excellence, so transfer time should not be a deciding factor where ever in the wide punta cana area you finally visit.

the Excellence is located secluded, very nice prepared spacy beach, waters are rough there and not always swimmable. services at this true stand alone Adults Only Hotel are top of the line for an AI. their conierge services are of the best i ever encountered throughout Punta Cana, and i am due work in touch with many concierge services of most Resorts often. no reservations required for any of their restaurants. you do not face any boattraffic in front of the swimming areas at the Excellence. for a true adults only getaway the Excellence would be my first choice.

the Paradisus Palma Real is layed out much bigger, their beach provides year around calm waters. but it is located in the middle of Bavaro/the resort Mainstrip, so you have heavy boattraffic right outside of the roped in swimming areas all day long. restaurants require reservations for their a la cartes.

you can't go wrong at either, and transfer time difference is unsignificant.

happy travels

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

I have stayed at both, and they are both very good. Paradisus Palma Real is one of three Paradisus resorts that I've stayed at. I've stayed at two Excellence resorts, including the one in Punta Cana, and another in the Mayan Riviera. Excellence Punta Cana is my favorite resort anywhere.

An extra 15 minutes taxi ride is not something that would deter me in the slightest.

Excellence is a completely self-contained, standalone adult only resort. There are no resorts within a mile or so in either direction. PPR has Royal Service, which is an adult only section, but most of the amenities (theatre, restaurants, etc.) are shared with the non adult only portion. Both have many dining options. Reservations are required for dinner at the a la cartes at PPR. No reservations required at Excellence. This is a big plus for me. Food is good at both. Both have dining options by the beach.

Both have beautiful beaches. They have about the same beach frontage, but Excellence has about half as many guests, so it's less crowded. It also has little to no boat traffic, whereas PPR has lots. The waters at Excellence are typically rough, while it's typically calm at PPR.

Both have pool and beach service. The service at Excellence is the best I've encountered, from management on down. As mentioned above, the concierge service is particularly outstanding. They treat you like you're the only guests at the resort. I've never been impressed with management / front desk at Melia / Paradisus resorts.

Both have nice pools, but I prefer the lazy river pool at Excellence, which runs along the edge of the beach from end to end. Excellence has more rooms close to the beach.

Both have 24 hour room service, and free internet throughout the resort.

PPR is closer to off resort amenities.

Mark

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

There you go Rebecca :D Lots of great detailed info from those who know - again, good luck choosing! Research is key! :D

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

Hi Guys - thanks for the feedback....I think I will go with PPR....it is the first one I picked and as they say - you never change your bet!!!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

Congrats on choosing Rebecca!!

It really does look and sound like an amazing place to enjoy a holiday. We too are going in July - seems like a long time to wait, especially today as we just got our first big snow fall (Snow Day, Woo-hoo!) but anticipation and planning is half the fun so enjoy :)

8. Re: Excellence or Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:16