We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

We jut arrived back in the US and we're glad to be home. ME was not the vacation we hoped for.... The resort was not exactly clean, food was not good and workers we just ok. We had a fabulous trip to Excellene Playa Mujueres last January and ME was like a 1 star resort compared to the Excellence resort. However the beach at ME was awesome!!!

Glad we went to Dominican Republic - but if we were to return, it would not be to the ME.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

thats to bad,,, some places seem to please other people more then others,, you seem to be the minority on Majestic Elegance,,,

as like me after being to playa del carmen area a couple times ,, I realize its not for me,, and have no intentions of going back there,,

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Sorry to hear that, Jessica. Will you be writing a review about your experience?

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Yes I will be writing a review tomorrow. I do think I have high expectations, especially as far as cleanliness. It was a lesson learned and I can't wait to go back to Mexico in February!

If anyone has questions about ME, let me know I'd be glad to answer

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Excellence Playa Mujeres is typically almost double the price of Majestic Elegance, so it's unfair to compare them. Majestic Elegance is great bang for the buck. It's a good 4 star resort. EPM is a 5 star resort, and it's ranked #1 of more than 170 resorts in Cancun.

Mark

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Mark I agree, but there is no reason for dirtiness. I could have dealt with the bad food among other things but dirty rooms and facilities don't cost "extra"! There is no excuse for that.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Jessica, sorry to hear you were disappointed by your stay at ME :(

I know you will be writing a review, but what exactly did you discover to be "dirty"?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Yes, what do you mean by "dirty"?

And was the food actually bad, or just not up to the standards of a place that costs nearly twice as much? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to get a handle on what you mean.

Mark

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Lacey blue - the rooms were gross, dirt and filth on and near the bathroom. The crib that was left in our room had so much dirt/scum on it, when I wiped it down the washcloth was black. And the crib had screws exposed on all four sides of the top of the crib, they had been screwed in sideways and were exposed and sharp at the top. I had to out clothes/towels over them so our daughter didn't hurt her hand. Seriously who has exposed nails on a crib for a baby? I have pictures of all of these things and will post them online. The chairs in the bedroom were so gross with dirt and filth on them - I turned them around so our daughter couldn't climb up on them. I didn't feel comfortable walking barefoot in the rooms, I had white socks on the first day and they were brown when I took them off - from there on out I wore sandals in the room.

The public bathrooms around the pools and restaurants were also nasty. The first day they seemed ok and them after a day or two it was almost as if staff stopped cleaning?

I guess to other people these things might be "clean" or "ok" but for me and my family it was not. I've never been so happy to be home, I'm really sad we wasted time and money on this vacation. But, lesson learned!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

Again, sorry to hear this...not a nice feeling.

I too would absolutely not have been okay with the screws sticking out of the crib - dangerous to be sure!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Majestic Elegance - disappointed

My friend calls that the Balderson Effect. Balderson makes a very good, commercially available cheese here in Canada. Once you've had it, you don't want the regular brands. Excellence is known for pristine washrooms, and attention to detail, and EPM is their flagship resort. You've been spoiled.

Even so, some friends and family members of mine have been to the Majestic resorts, and liked them. They had some minor criticisms, including the food not being great, but fine. None of them had any complaints about cleanliness. Perhaps you got unlucky.

Mark