We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand or Excellence in Punta Cana?

Chevy Chase...
13 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand or Excellence in Punta Cana?

My boyfriend and I are taking our first vacation together and I am not sure which resort to book. Iberostar Grand or Excellence. We are in our mid 40s and love the beach, good food and service and nice accommodations.

He plays golf but I do not. Both resorts have favorable reviews but I would like recommendations. Is one resort nicer than the other? Which one should we choose? Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence in Punta Cana?

They are both top notch, adult only resorts. They both offer outstanding service, good food, and good drinks. Iberostar Grand is more glitzy. Excellence is more tropical flair. It's a matter of what you're looking for.

IGB has 4 a la cartes and a buffet for dinner. Reservations are required for dinner. You have the option of eating at the restaurants in the other 3 resorts in the complex. Excellence has 9 a la carte restaurants for dinner, and no reservations required. No buffet for dinner, except on theme nights / beach parties. There is a buffet for breakfast and lunch though.

IGB has golf close by. It's probably a 20 minute taxi drive or so from Excellence. Excellence is more remote. There are no resorts within a mile or so in either direction. IGB is on a stretch of beach with lots of resorts, so more people and boat traffic. Both have very nice beaches. Excellence has rougher waters, but a more deserted island ambiance.

Both have fantastic service, on the beach, around the pool, and everywhere else.

My preference is Excellence, but that's a style thing, and I prefer no reservations for dinner. I also like the fact that all of the rooms are relatively close to the beach. Both have dining options by the beach.

You can't go wrong with either, and you may very well prefer the style of IGB. I wouldn't hesitate to go there. Possibly the two best adult only all-inclusives in the region.

Mark

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence in Punta Cana?

We had the most wonderful stay at the IBG a few years ago. The staff made such a great effort to get to know the guests and also knew when to leave them alone. There was so much room on the beautiful beach. We'd take walks and see how crowded the other resorts were and how uncomfortable their beach chairs looked as compared to the luxury of the IBG. We liked the quiet of the resort, but there were plenty of activities during the day that the Star Friends engaged interested guests in that looked like lots of fun. Plus, there were evening shows every night. You could walk or get a golf cart to any of the sister properties for more nightlife if you wanted to. Plus, everything was top shelf, from lobster tails, if that's your thing, to wines, to premium alcohol available all the time. The room was lovely and they decorated it for our anniversary. We stayed in the basic room category. We loved the included golf and tennis, and that the golf was right on property. It was nice staying at such a high end resort for us as well because we didn't worry about food-borne illness, because many friends who had traveled to PC before us had tried to scare us off with talk of this. When they dropped us off from the airport at the IBG, the driver said, "You're staying at the nicest resort in Punta Cana." By the time we left, we certainly agreed. I think it would be a fantastic vacation destination--the best of romance and fun! I have not stayed at the Excellence in PC but have stayed at another Excellence property. I felt IBG was higher end.

Also, a highlight of our stay was our PC Mike day tour if that interests you. We did the Boca de Yuma trip and still talk about it.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence in Punta Cana?

Ambeach,

Just noticed your location. We're neighbors :-). We're also in the same age range. With all the AIs, it's important to temper your food expectations. You won't find the food of Palena or even Black's at an AI. You'll find the presentation of Range sometimes but not the taste. That said, I would still highly recommend the IBG and think it would be a wonderful place for a first trip together. Also, though the on-resort food experience might not live up to what we find in the DC area, though will still be very good, the meal we had on our PC Mike tour was outstanding and inexpensive...some of the freshest and most deliciously prepared fish we've ever eaten in a beautiful outdoor setting.

Feel free to pm me if I can be of help.

4. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence in Punta Cana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:17