We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Was having Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and our group trip to the DR came up and a few of my Aunts are weary about going because they have "heard" it can be dangerous off the resort. A cousin who honeymooned there about 5 years ago loved the resort but was told by staff to never leave the resort b/c it was dangerous.

Once my aunt's heard this they were sold on the scare factor. My husband and I always leave resorts (Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cancun, Cabo) where ever we go to immerse ourselves in the culture a bit, but I need some reassurance for my family.

Do tourist generally leave the resort to visit the town during the day and night?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,981 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Yes it is safe to leave the resort but just take the normal precaution you would at any new destination

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,031 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Since 2005 living here without a single issue of concern...much of my time being spent in the non touristy areas.

Cheers

PCMike

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

PCMike: Is there much to do in "town" off the resort? Food? Shopping? nightlife?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Don't leave the resort is a favorite ploy of the excursion representatives as they wan to sell you their off the resort tours. It is a $$$$$ issue for them.

If you use normal precautions you would anywhere you travel, don't flash money or jewels, stay out of areas you would not usually go you will be fine off the resort. Exploring on your own can actually be fun and informative.

To second Mike's thoughts we have been here in the DR full time for over 7 years and never have had a problem.

Have a great trip

BObK

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

B0bK:

Is there much to do in "town" off the resort? Food? Shopping? nightlife?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

In Punta Cana the answer is not really. I will leave others to answer this specific question.

There is much more to do off the resort on the north coast where I live..

BObK

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

I would agree with BobK - we love the POP area because we can wander off resort and explore on our own. The city of Puerto Plata has some really interesting 'touristy' things, as well as some areas that are off the beaten path. Felt safe in all our off resort adventures - still not brave enough to motochonco though LOL. Cabarete, a short distance from POP, is a lively, vibrant town. Great places to eat (best chicken I've ever had) and the beach is magnificent.

Punta Cana vacations, for us, are more about disconnecting and doing nothing more active than moving from chair to ocean. Having said that, there are a few areas in the region that are fun to wander about. The area around Steve's Corner Bar is good for an afternoon of trinket shopping and people watching. Always nice to pull up a bar stool there and have a really really cold Presedente and chat with both locals and tourists. There is a mall, Palma Real, which has some pretty 'upscale' shops and a nice little amber museum/jewellry store. We were there two years ago just before Christmas and it was fun to see the big blow up santa and Christmas decorations hanging in a tropical open air mall. Along the beach by the Iberostar and Rui there are some beach front restaurants and cheapy cheapy shacks. Our favourite beach area, Cabeza de Toro, has a small village which is an eye opener and an interesting area to wander. Again, never felt unsafe.

We've only ventured off resort at night once, and that was in POP - again, no issues.

Enjoy and do get out and about.

Bugs

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Where is POP and Puerto Plata in proximity to grand Bahia or majestic colonial?

Get there via taxi?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

Have a look on Google maps. Puerta Plata is about a 7 hour drive from Punat Cana.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but..

A long way away - hundreds of miles.

Mark