We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Punta Cana, opinions?

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Topic
New to Punta Cana, opinions?

My husband and I are veterans of Mexico. We are looking to book an April trip somewhere new. Punta Cana and Jamaica (still not sure what area) seem to be the top picks. The main objective is to relax on an outstanding beach. We do like to do a couple of excursions or a little sight-seeing when in a new place; snorkeling, unique shopping, and historical sites are among our favorites. We prefer top end adult only all-inclusives, but adult only isn't an absolute. High end service and food are more important :)

Any advice? Resorts on my radar are: Iberostar Grand Bavaro, Zoetry, Paradisus Palma Real, and maybe Secrets. Any others that fit the bill? I am not interested in Excellence.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Punta Cana Urban Adventures
Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours
Plaza Bavaro
Gift & Speciality Shops
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

Hello :)

I stayed at Zoetry last year, and we are returning in July - can't wait!!

Just a few things that might help:

~ Zoetry is in the Uvero Alto area. With the new highway, it's about 40-45 minutes from the airport and a little more remote. The beauty of its location, is that the neighbouring resorts are about a mile away on each side. There is practically no foot traffic on Zoetry's beach, and zero boat traffic in front. To us, it really was like being on our own tropical island.

~ The sand in this area is not the "postcard" white, but a beautiful, soft light, light brown sugary beige - beautiful ocean water.

~ The service when we were there was extremely personalized, with an amazingly attentive, friendly staff - they absolutely made our stay as enjoyable as it was.

~ There are no reservations for dinner, all a la carte dining with a fourth restaurant recently added - they are open nightly on a rotating basis

~ There is not a lot of nightly entertainment, aside from a small trio who played in the lobby bar after dinner. I hear however, that there may be another option with the opening of the new restaurant...

~ all excursions are available from all the PC resorts, taxis are readily available. You could travel into Higuey for a day, or do a tour with PC Mike to see some of the sites in the area

It truly is a beautiful spot, in our opinion. Rustic, but in delivered in such an elegant way...

The Iberostar Grand looks amazing, but a little to glitzy for us. The PPR has always been on our radar, and we may just look into doing a tour when we are there this coming summer. Both of these resorts require reservations for dinner, which also holds us back just a bit. Secrets also looks lovely, and remains on our "list". There would no doubt be more entertainment at these resorts, as Zoetry (both day and night) is fairly laid back - not to say there aren't things to do, but there are no animation teams - just a couple of entertainment directors who will organize volleyball, a bike ride, horseback riding, beach cooking demonstrations, etc.

Hope this helped a bit and good luck in your search - there are wonderful people on this forum who will graciously assist you with you inquiries and comparisons. Enjoy your holiday, wherever you should decide to stay :D

Edited: 01 December 2013, 23:38
Mentioned in this post
Uvero Alto
Uvero Alto
Dominican Republic
Higuey
Higuey
Dominican Republic
Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

Thanks, laceyblue! Zoetry sounds amazing and very much like what we are looking for in a resort. Were there many children when you were there? We don't really care if there is or isn't entertainment. We've never taken part of the activities- only used them to "people watch". I really appreciate your help :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

If you could tell us why you're not interested in Excellence, that would help in determining which others would appeal to you.

Mark

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

Hi again cadillacqueen... glad I could help :)

There were two boys, each with their own families. One was maybe 9, the other maybe 12. From what we could tell, they were nice, polite boys who kept themselves entertained at the beach most of the time we saw them - saw the one boy at the pool once. To be honest, the older one looked bored. The resort really does not offer anything for kids to do - there is certainly no kids' club or anything. While children are welcome, I believe it's rather rare to see any...

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

for the top of the line treatment, where no animation team bothers, where food is gourmet and top wines are waiting in your own wine cooler on the room, check out the Sivory.

it is the smallest and most exclusive of PC Bouthique Hotels.

while they are basically not all inclusive, they offer meal plans separately and as packages, all meals are a la carte.

www.sivorypuntacana.com/default-en.html

happy travels

Mike

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

MHEATH- I had a very negative experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres. I know most people love it, but we didn't so I'm not interested in any other Excellence properties.

MikeFisher- I will have to look at Sivory. Sounds great.

Lacey- thanks for answering my questions :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

as for the Sivory, check also their packages(always named packages on their rates list, which otherwise shows room rates), they are not available all year around, not during the winter season, but usually from spring til around mid december. those packages provide a specific room category like their deluxe junior suits and include the mel plans for all the 3 a la carte restauarnts, snack bar etc, including the well stocked wine cooler on the room(i had once a 12 bottles collection of wines there on the room included, the ones you used been restocked the next day, their wines are a mayor factor for me to love the spot, as i am not a real foodie). those packages also include extras like specific Spa Treatments, many things at the Spa/use of facilities are anyways included there. the breakfast to the room service is a very nice feature, specially for someone like me who just wanna be 24/7 lazy on a vacation week.

the Sivory allows children, but it would be very rare to see more than 2 together, it is a typical romantic couples hideaway to get spoiled the best imaginable.

Mike

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

I stayed at Zoetry last year and will be trying the paradisus palma real in 11 days! I will try and post a comparison when I return.

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

Mike- that sounds absolutely amazing!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Punta Cana, opinions?

So does that mean you have a grudge against the company, or was there something about what EPM offered that you'd like to avoid in any resort? The point of my question was to find out what you don't want in a resort. If we know that, then it helps to narrow down your choices.

Mark