We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

Ok, so I am talking about Breathless and I have decided looks wise it's just not for me and don't plan to book there and it has nothing to do with the current issues. I just can't help to wonder why they open when they clearly aren't ready. I mean they have to know there is going to serious backlash. Granted people have reported back that they had a great time, but I am wondering about the countless number of people that aren't coming back due to a BAD first impression, then those who booked then cancelled. First impressions ARE everything, IMHO. Prices for this resort are very high at the moment for a " risky " booking, again my opinion, high season is around the corner. #1 I wonder did Breathless do the right thing opening early, semi hurting their reputation and #2 automatically raising their prices to the same as a higher end established resort? Please DO NOT read too much into this post as being negative! I truly wish everyone booked there in the next few months that everything is wonderful, nobody wants to think about having a bad vacation EVER. My point was of this post was to get opinions about why new resorts open early and risk their reputations, that is all, so I would appriciate no negative or sarcastic comments, thank you.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

I'd say it depends what you call "early". They have to open sometime, and they have to work out the rough spots with guests there, some things just would not be apparent by just looking at an empty resort.

Of course I would expect a good deal on price to take that risk, same as "testing" any new product.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

You may want to read some reviews of other resorts from when they first opened. Many had very similar issues in their first few weeks.

We will be there in less then a week and I have to admit we had concerns but things seem to be getting much better.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,771 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

I do know that when they delayed the opening of their resorts in Jamaica and few years ago all hell broke loose as people were not at all happy

When they opened SMB & SSS in Mexico and very soon afterwards closed SSS again as they were having too many complaints the people that got transferred to SMB were more than happy as they had been effectively upgraded to a more expensive resort. However, the majority of the guests at SMB were not happy with this at all

There is no way they can road test everything and sometimes the only way to do a proper shakedown is to get a few hundred guests in and hope all goes well. As has been said many times if you book a brand new resort at a discounted price there is a risk it will not be either fully open and /or there will be issues

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

I guess right now I am shocked pricing trips out to other resorts that Breathless is so high. I am curious with high season and prices being so high if they are going to fill their rooms.

@catchin

Wishing you a fabulous vacation !

murillo
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

i'm the opposite... why would someone book a resort that just opened...? .. Any trip can have a snag ... lost luggage... resort over booked .. not get the room you booked... I think we could handle more now that we are older and have traveled south a dozen times ... but i wouldn't even look at a resort that wasn't a year old...

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

If my funds only allowed me to experience a resort like Breathless, at an opening discount price, I'd book it. We are pretty laid back and for the price I would understand why they offer the lower price tag and the inconveniences I may encounter. You get what you pay for type of deal. I would not even consider booking a new/opening resort at full price.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

tweety,

that's easy to answer.

the new stuff and the use of new facailities requires training of the stuff on the running property(in theory you can train everyone to everything, just at the "live" moment it may go downhill all together), so at one point or an other a new resort with new staff has to open and start the live@training of their staff, and that's the opening months/first several months after a opening date when a new resort does such, hence they offer great deals for the Test Guests to be the clientel during the training phase. such is absolutely usual/normal in the AI industry. everyone form the little gardener cleaning up the seaweed over the guy at check in and waitress taking your a la carte order and the assistants of the Chef to cook your meal all the ladder up to the head management need some time to get a new place running smoothly. such can not be done by theoretical training prior to a opening(of course such is also done, it is not that all staff would be newbies who never worked on such job), there comes the point where al the prior experience and theories have to face the real facts running daily property life, and that's what the openings months are there for. some occuring issues may be minor, others may involve weeks of time to just get the missing/to be changed pieces delivered and installed and starting to run their test phase etc etc.

it is new AI property opening as usual.

have fun

Mike

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

They have to set an opening date far in advance, so they can get bookings. The worst thing to do would be to open too late, and lose possible revenue. So they tend to set an opening date that is too aggressive. When they are not really ready by that aggressive date, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they delay the opening, then they have to move all the booked guests to another property. This would upset people. If they open without adequate facilities, they risk bad reviews and a bad reputation. I do think this is kind of par for the course in opening new resorts.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

I think we need to distinguish between the opening of a new resort that is 'ready' and one that is not ready. If all the physical facilities are ready, yes you will still have some issues related to staff training and figuring out how to deal with the guests. This can be eased somewhat by keeping bookings low during the first few weeks. We expect teething problems at a new resort.

But then there are resorts that open up when it is clear the physical facilities are not ready. Construction is still going on. Various pools, bars, restaurants are not open, etc. I think that's what Tweety is asking about in the original post.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do new resorts open when they are not ready?

they usually Pre-Open during low season times shortly prior to the higher travel season of an area/destination, so not all pools nor all restaurants are needed to run from day one. even the long running properties have at the sme time frames pools and restaurants/amenities randomly closed for make overs/refurbishments/maintenance, very few properties have all amenities/restaurants/bars/pools etc open and running every day during that low season time frame.

if for example a pool or restaurant is closed because it get's a new painting or tiles replaced or new furniching or if the same spot is closed because it still was not finished to be opened, where's the difference for the low travel season traveler.

don't get me wrong, it is not that i like to have part of amenities not available to me during that time frame, but as fact it is the case every year again during the same time periods. the same goes for closures of specific buildings for renovations, if they are closed for renos or because they did not have been finished, what would be the difference? as fact they are not available. as long as the ongoing still constructions or refurbishments etc are not a clear loud bothering work towards the guests at the opened/running facilities, so long i don't see a difference between a not finished New Resort and a parttially closed renovating long running property.

Mike