We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

I know this is going to be difficult to do....but here we go.

My husband and I have vacationed at Sandals resorts for our last 2 vacations and they were amazing! Now we want to try going relatively cheep and staying under $2500 for the 2 of us to travel at the end of march from Toronto ON.

Any suggestions?

My travel agent suggested Paradisus Punta Cana, Majestic Colonial, or Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

My issue is that most reviewers all upgraded to the concierge or butler levels. And I've read in some reviews that the Majestic Colonial doesn't give you top shelf liquors unless you upgrade (which the website fails to tell you).

Can anyone out there who has been to sandals before recommend something that they enjoyed comparably for a cheaper price in Punta Cana?

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

We've never been to Sandals, but have checked it out and it's on a list somewhere!

We have been to the Catalonia property 3 times and will likely return for a 4th visit in April. Twice on the Bavaro side and once on the Royal side. Bavaro side is really a good bang for your buck whether you upgrade to Priviledge or not. Priviledge buildings are closer to the beach and you don't need reservations for dinner, but other than that really no difference in other amenities. The Royal side is lovely, adult only and very laid back. No buffet, all alacartes for meals and no reservations required for the 3 restaurants on that side. You do have the option of using all facilities at Bavaro side if you book on the Royal side. Having said that, we'd return to either side because we did find that it was a great resort for a budget price. Drinks were good, food was fine and, in my opinion anyway, has the best beach we've ever had the pleasure of plunking our behinds in. Very calm swimable water.

We stayed at Blau Natura (same area in PC) 2 years ago - got an amazing deal out of YYZ for about $1500 for both all in - resort is a little older, but rooms were well loved and very clean. Food was good, drinks were cold and again, a terrific beach. Would return there too!

The BeLive, which is next to Blau Natura (just after Dreams PB) was also nice, but we didn't particularly like the time share reps who literally followed you to the beach trying to get you to come to a meeting. Again, good food, good drinks, small beach than either the Cat or Blau.

Check out the Iberostar Punta Cana or Dominicana - we have gone there for about $2600 in February last year. Again, really nice compact clean resort - best food I've had in Punta Cana and cold drinks. For us, however, the beach was way too busy for our liking (but that is just personal preference - the beach was beautiful just really busy).

I'd rather travel 2/3 times a year to a budget than once to a pricey resort - although I do think we'd like Sandals LOL. It's all about the expectations.- you do get what you pay for, but so far we've been lucky in our adventures.

Bugs

murillo
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

i just did a search for the end of Feb out of TO... Is there even a resort in PC for that price... Those 3 resorts are almost $4000 a week for 2...?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

I am looking at the end of March/beginning of April. According to my travel agent prices are high now and should drop quite a bit in January.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

Thanks for your reply! It's been very informative

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

If you can wait until after Easter the prices will begin to really drop. Might get a good deal early April

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

Check Expedia !

Canonsburg...
Level Contributor
44 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

Should I be afraid of booking on Expedia, Cheap Carribean etc. I keep pricing out Punta Cana hotels and it says there will be a "resort or other fees" that the hotel might charge. Has anyone had this happen?

murillo
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

nothing wrong with expedia.ca... use lots of them... if you have a TA they should be able to get you any price you find .... then you can deal with them with any problems that may arise....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

I just did a quick search and found the Barcelo Bavaro Beach on March 30 with Air Transat for $2,956 - it's an adults-only resort and looks really nice. Also found Bavaro Princess on March 27 with Sunwing for $2,810.

We booked flight and hotel separate on Expedia and saved about $1,000 - keep in mind though that it won't be on chartered flights like Sunwing and Transat and you will have to pay your transport to/from the resort.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Resorts under $2500 for 2

All of March is a High season, due to Spring Break, if you can wait til late April, early May, you will definitely find better prices, We recently booked a week at the Bahia Ambar from April 27 - May 4th, for $ 2,550 for the both of us, that leaves from Boston, with Expedia.com., We would recommend if you can, to stay away from any March vacation. Best Wishes !