We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi

Wilkie
12 posts
Save Topic
Wifi

How much is wifi for a week stay there ??

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi

Which resort?

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi

Now Larimar as per OP's other threads.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi

I suggest that you use Gobecon

…gobecon.com/reliable-connectivity/wifi/

ezs
Manalapan, NJ
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi

I just got back from 5 days at the Ambar. We rented the Gobecon wifi hotspot and it worked perfectly! I highly recommend going that route. The man met me at the airport just where he was supposed to be with my name on a sign, I gave him a $50 deposit, signed a form, and off I went with my hotspot. Very easy and it met all our needs.

Have a great trip,

Eve

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi

Yes, also recommend Gobecon.

Wilkie
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifi

Now larimar

Shasta Lake
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wifi

If you are wanting your own wifi and not use the resorts. You can get a wifi modem from most of the major carriers, Claro, Orange etc. Because it is only going to be short term they will want you to buy your own modem for about $25 - $50 depending on the one you get. You can then buy bandwidth. This bandwidth can be recharged online if you use it up.

This site has quite a bit of information on some of the plans available, reviews on several of the modems that the carriers in the DR offer and some posts on pricing. www.dr-dominicanrepublic.com/tag/internet/

The easiest route is to buy one of the cheaper modems like the Huawei E355 Modem from Dominican Orange or Claros USB modem. The problem with buying one in the states is that most modems from the states need to have the programming changed so it can be used outside of the US. Modems bought here are already set up to be used here. Prices for prepaid bandwidth go from about $10 for 100MB to about $50 for 10GB. Right now Orange is considerably cheaper than Claro.

If you read Spanish you can go directly to the company sites and compare prices and equipment.

However.... If you are only planning on sending some emails and minor stuff it is probably easier to pay to get internet from the resort. Just be sure to turn off ALL sharing on your computer before you connect to a public network. If you plan on using the internet while traveling in the airports you need to learn how to do this anyway.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wifi

Still thinking Gobecon is cheaper and easier IMHO.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wifi

What post 7 listed is basically what Gobecon does... They have the WIFI Mobile purchased from Orange and subscribe to internet then they resell it to all the travelers. And yes as Barb said easier for the traveler ro just go with Gobecon as they don't have to go through the hassle of purchasing the modem, etc.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 00:22
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wifi

Not sure if you are booking transfer service, but Gobecon is running a special right now where their wi-fi is only $19.99 for the week if you book it with one of their transfers. We are only staying 4 days, but since it's good anywhere (including on the beach), I got one.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 14:24