We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schools supplies

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Schools supplies

Just wondering what the kids in the DR like to get? School supplies or toys in general. Coming down start of January and doing a school tour. Plus I don't mind bringing a few things for other kids I see. Not sure what sort of things they want.

Thanks

Scarborough
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schools supplies

School supplies are always needed.

I usually take pencils, notebooks, rulers, pencil crayons etc. Typical school stuff. I usually put in a bag of suckers or candy to be shared as well.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Schools supplies

Ya that's what we have packed but just wondering if there is something certain they need but don't get often enough.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schools supplies

Consumable items are always a good idea - pencils, pencil crayons, markers, sticky notes, erasers, glue sticks, stickers, noteboooks. The children also very much enjoy baseball things - we donated some gently used baseball mitts and baseballs (we bought dollar store ones). Even things like skipping ropes, Frisbees etc would probably also be appreciated. :D

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Schools supplies

Oh never thought of the baseball stuff. Thanks.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schools supplies

Glad to help :) We had two here at home and a quick trip to Value Village turned up a few more. We had heard that such equipment can be hard to come by, and as baseball is so popular as their national sport, we tried to do what we could...

Enjoy your trip!!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schools supplies

I noticed it too; there is a downward trend on reviews. One said there was a change in management at the resort (Secrets?). Sometimes you can send someone a private email and learn more insights. I did it and received pictures from some nice folks on this forum when I was concerned about construction at another resort. It turned out to be nothing in my case, but helped my fears.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 04:36
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schools supplies

I can't add much to the list accept to say these are great suggestions. I went on a trip to Guatemala where our church has partnered up with a school. We send multiple groups each year and relationships have formed. I know it is a different country, but kids are kids. Sports equipment is always a real plus. We even brought beach balls because they are easy to travel with and the kids loved them. Temporary tattoos were also a big hit and easy to bring. Stickers, crayons and colored pencils were mentioned and are all great ideas.

8. Re: Schools supplies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 06:18