We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UpstateNY
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

We just booked the resort and I'm wondering if the preferred club is worth the extra money. We are traveling with kids and when looking at a private lounge I didn't think it was worth it. Are the rooms better? What benefits does the preferred club offer for families?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

Also interested to hear responses to this :-)

UpstateNY
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

Does anyone have an opinion on the Preferred Club?

Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

You get a private Bar/Lounge area with Top shelf drinks and Finger snacks during the day, A resturaunt Oceania for preferred guest and Free internet. Oh you get a yellow towel instead of a brown one. Rooms do not seem any better however I have never slept on a preferred bed lol. For me at Dreams it is just not worth it IMO. Sorry forgot the private section of beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

My understanding is that the Oceania restaurant is open to everyone for dinner though, is that right?

And does everyone get drink service at the beach and around the pool?

We're also going with small children so from the sounds of it made the right choice not to upgrade! Probably just wouldn't get the use out of the little extras, anyways.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

You get the club to use. oceana is open to everyone for dinner. outside the club all are treated the same. it is a nice perk if you have the money otherwise you will not miss it. nice resort.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

there are some nice perks to this resort but we were very disappointed with it. beach/ocean area is terrible. rooms are very small and need renovating. we also got stuck in a time share presentation that we were told we HAD to attend. the people and food are good, the rest needs some work.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

I can only speak for my experience in the preferred club. The rooms were kept very clean. We were only there to change and sleep but I can honestly say the room didn't seem that small to me. Perhaps the king bed rooms seem bigger because of the extra floor space?

The "perks" we're worth it for me. I enjoyed breakfast and lunch in the full service restaurant by the beach rather than going to the buffet. I liked stopping in at the lounge for a quick appetizer and drink inside in the air conditioning or on the lovely patio. You can also take snacks back to your room when going to change for dinner :-)

Having unlimited wi-fi so I didn't have to stress about running out of my "paid" minutes was great for me and I could use the iPad by the pool to check in with my older kids at home :-)

Private checkin and check out in the lounge was smooth and relaxing. Have a look at the website, it gives you a full list.

We were at the beach every morning from 9-noon. What's to say . There is sand and a beautiful ocean and I just lay on the loungers to get some sun. The water was rough but many people were in the roped off designated swimming area. There are plenty of loungers and the Preferred club has a roped off area with large 4 poster sun beds and a concierge.

UpstateNY
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

Thank you for the opinions. I'm from the Northeast so I imagine what some consider "rough waters" we will not have a problem with. My daughter has been worried about lack of waves so maybe this is better for us. I will decide on the preferred club upon arrival. So far it seems the WiFi is the only thing worth it to us. With young kids with picky tastes a breakfast and lunch buffet seems like a better choice for us anyway.

We've never been yo DR and are really looking forward to it!

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

I booked my preferred club room with my original booking but only because there was no price difference on the Sunquest web-site when I was pricing it out (I think it was an error but I jumped on it and got it). I do believe that you get a good (negotiable) rate it you wait till you arrive though.

The seaside restaurant had French toast and other tasty options for the kids. Also the lunch menu had hot dogs,pizza, nachos, poutine...I was surprised by the number of choices so don't let the thought of taking the kids to the buffet be your deciding factor. It's great to sit and look at the water, our grandchildren never had a hard time finding something to eat. And I was grateful not to "have" to walk to the buffet if I just wanted a salad, sandwich and fries and/or nachos :-)

Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams Punta Cana Resort...upgrade??

They make Burgers, Hotdogs, Nacho stuff between beach/pool daily for anyone. Simply grab what you want sit in pool/beach chair and enjoy no matter if you are P guest or not. The fruit in the early afternoon is amazing and kept me happy and the burger/dog/nacho bar was always there so no need to leave my pool side oasis for lunch so that would not sell me on a upgrade for simply special lunch place.