We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking on roads outside of resort

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Walking on roads outside of resort

We are staying at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro....just wondering if it considered a safe practice for two women to walk on the roads outside of the resort...i.e. avenida espana, avenida fransica, avenida alemania....we like to explore on foot if possible rather than have to grab cabs everywhere...just wondering if we could walk on these roads to get down to the beach at the Barcelo? I understand that Dominicans drive very dangerously...that is not the safety factor I am referring to...but more so as women would this be okay to do, during the day of course? Used to bopping around the Mayan Riviera in Mexico which you can quite readily do this. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

Oh honey i was born and raised in dominican republic and i am still afraid of walking anywhere everytime i go back

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

Are you referring to Barcelo Bavaro? Barcelo Bavaro, on Bavaro Beach, would be a heck of a long walk.

Mark

nyc
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

This is the problem with punta cana. There isnt much of a real side walk along the roads. There isnt anything like a strip to stroll on. Not like mexico.

. you could walk, you may be approached by some playboys, but it should be ok. I havent heard of any abductions. You may be hassled by vendors as well.

Watch where you walk , there are missing man hole covers everywhere. Dont walk where it doesent feel right.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

Jeriktaxr....thank you that is the honest answer I was looking for

Mark...I am aware of the distance..we are extreme walkers and one is a marathon runner so the distance isn't a problem

Kapitan...don't want to be hassled by any one while walking and certainly don't want to end up in a Dominican manhole...ha...tx for your advice

Guess we will only be walking on the beach as I suspected.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

The beach is good. You can see what other resorts beach set up looks like.

Maybe you can share any good finds.

murillo
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

i walk the roads all the time ... and the beach... you can cut through a resort to the road but they won't let you cut through a resort to get to the beach... I wear a head phone with music playing on either... they don't bother me at all...lol... on the beach you can walk in the water and they won't come in . but i'm a male and twice their size ... I do get asked if i want a female companion .. just say no and they don't bother you again... the people at the front desk should be able to tell you both where to walk and where not to.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

The thing is that since i came to the united states i lost that 6th sense that tells all dominicans when they are in trouble lol and i am sorry to say this because i love my country but the moment u step on a plane u become a target for thieves and i say this because of all the stories ive heard and the way my family and friends protect me when i go, they see things that i dont and while probably nothing will happen to you is better to be safe than sorry but i think in PC the biggest things are what we call "sanki pankis" lol guys trynna make a move on you

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

kapitan95,

i have to disagree that there isn't much of a sidewalk in PC to walk along the streets, as the whole Bavaro area is connected by sidewalks and at most spots on both sides of the road, so walking around from resort to resort or the shopping areas etc is no concern as for availability of sidewalks. you could even walk all the way from bavaro up to Veron and thru Veron, sidewalks all the way and on both sides of the street.

as for safety, during the days i would not be concerned to walk along the busy roads of Bavaro, you are never alone there and i feel it as safe as any hometown street to walk in bright daylight at home, with the same precautions taken as done at home when walking the streets.

merry christmas!

Mike

9. Re: Walking on roads outside of resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:17