We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oh no. Dreams palm beach.

New jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
oh no. Dreams palm beach.

I just got back from dreams palm beach. I put my review up. And gave it 4 stars. It was a nice vacation. However, I am paying for it now. Diarrhea had started the last day before the flight. And 4 days later still can't keep food In me. I went with my mom and she has the same issue. I am a healthcare worker and while in punta Cana I was obsessed with using hand sanitizer and not drinking the water. I stuck to omelettes and pasta pretty much. If u like diarrhea, then go check out dreams palm beach.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,759 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

Sorry to hear you are ill

"I was obsessed with using hand sanitizer and not drinking the water. I stuck to omelettes and pasta pretty much"

Does not sound much like a holiday

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

WOW! No fun for sure. I am assume as a healthcare worker, you realize that 4 days of this is more than just "travelers tummy" and you and your mother are seeking medical assistance. If you feel it is appropriate, please post a follow up if there is something new going on that travelers should watch for.

Sometimes, no matter how cautious you are, the wrong place at the wrong time happens and BOOM! Sick!

Please stay well hydrated and feel better soon.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

I'm not sure you can blame the resort . I have gotten what my doctor called "travelers diarrhea " at a few DR resorts. I too, am very careful. Once, it was food poisoning,..... the others?? Feel better soon!!

Edited: 24 December 2013, 20:25
Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

Have you been checked for Guardia?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

Maybe it's ameba. Common here and easy to treat if they know what it is. Sometimes people get a tropical bug, and unless you tell your doctor to check for tropical diseases or bugs, they don't know and give you the wrong treatment.

I hope you get well soon

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

I bring cipro and bactrim with me on every island trip, its been a life saver several times.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

I got sick like that after coming back from PC last year (not at the Dreams) - I also get a prescription for Cipro so used it but it didn't get better so went to my doctor - she ran numerous tests and it was only about two months later that she finally found out that I had contracted the Giardia parasite.

All that to say is that whatever you got may have happened at any resort - you may have even picked it up on the airplane - so I wouldn't necessarily place the blame on the resort.

I know exactly what you're going through - Christmas and New Years were very unpleasant for me last year - so like previously mentioned, go see your doctor and get this checked out - hope you're better soon.

Edited: 25 December 2013, 18:55
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

Giardia should be one of the first things to check. Amazing that it took your doc 2 months to figure it out. That's awful that you had to suffer through those symptoms for such a long time.

Unlikely though, that you'd pick up Giardia on a plane, as it comes mainly from contaminated water (possibly food or soil too). In the back country, where I'm most familiar with it, we backpackers get it from contaminated streams, typically from those dang deer having the nerve to poop in them ;-).

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

Unless there was some actual outbreak affecting many guests, I would not be so quick to badmouth a resort that way!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oh no. Dreams palm beach.

Hey Lindsay! We never heard back from you. Are you OK?