We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

luv2travel2014

Cleveland, Ohio

Save this Post

Reserving Beach Spots/Chair - Grand Bahia Principe Premier

Dec 26, 2013, 1:12 PM

We stayed at the Riu Caribe in Cancun and we remember that to "reserve" chairs we had to play the towel "game" where people would reserve chairs/spots under the palapas by placing towels on them. What we would do is get fresh beach towels using cards (separate from the towels in our rooms) at night and then use these towels to reserve our spots the following morning.

It seems as though at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier this "game" also applies, however we heard that unlike the Riu Caribe there are no separate beach towels and that you only get towels in your rooms. We also heard that if these towels are not returned during cleaning time then there is a fine one must pay, so people do not use these towels and instead use other items (bags, sunscreen, clothing, towels brought from home). So we were wondering whether this is true and if yes would you recommend bring beach towels along on our trip?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

if you wanna play the toewl game, yes, bring "game towels" from home.

towels left to you and not returned at the end of the trip bring up a fine.

happy holidays!

MIke

murillo
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

if you don't have your towel on check out day ... just grab one from a lounger on the way to the lobby ... lol ..If there is a place with a towel game, it's the Bahia... Lined up across the beach like hot dogs on a bbq...

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

I agree with you Bomberro that the towel game is very much alive at this resort. However, I am hoping that you are joking when you say to grab a towel on the way to the lobby, since I seen lol after the statement. I would recommend that people bring an old t-shirt, towel, etc from home to hold your chair, because you will need to use something if you want a place to sit during the day. Our villa was very close to the pool and we placed our towel out at 7:30, went to breakfast and when we came back it was gone. We did not leave our towel lying there all day, if we went to the beach we took our towel with us. It is about $20.00 per towel if you lose them. However the nice gentleman in customer service gave us two new towels, thanks to him we didn't have to pay the extra money. I am returning to this resort again in April, but will be taking my own things to reserve my chair, and I will be playing the towel game again, If you don't play the game then you will have no chair to sit on. Even thou the thought of paying 40 dollars was a bit of a shock, I would never take someone else's towel. When in Rome do what the Romans do. This happens at most of the resorts that we have visited.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

lovelylady11,

Bomberro may or may not have been joking, but that's what lots of people do when they lose a towel at resorts that charge for them.

Mark

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

Mark, I know you are probably right, perhaps that's why mine went missing. But I don't think I could do that. That's just me. I guess I would of been the sucker who paid the money. But like I said I will be prepared next time. I think I have learned from my mistakes.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
778 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

I have stayed at Bahia in Spain, Mexico and Punta Cana many times,lost my towel several times and never paid - I just explained what happened and always was given a new towel.

I've never heard that somebody was charged for a lost towel at Bahia.

If this happen ,go to front desk explain the situation and they will give you new towel card :)

murillo
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

we bring our own...lol... easier to find among the line of loungers with the same color resort towels.. over 5000 guests there

Edited: 27 December 2013, 02:17
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

So do guests at Bahia get towels for the room and beach towels that can be obtained with a towel card?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

Hi does anyone know whether you are provided with pool towels in the Bavaro Premier resort? We experienced the towel game at the GBP Tulum resort in Mexico on both occasions when we stayed - it usually starts just before sunrise!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Towel Game - Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Premier

at very large (by number of guests) but tiny grounds(very small beach area compared to number of guests) resorts like the Bahia Principe, the towel game is a usual part of daily vacay life, as there are always some(hundreds) who tink the best spots are exclusively for them and the rest of the guests should just stay in the 2nd row, lol.

Mike