We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Highway

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
krt
Peterborough, ON
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Topic
New Highway

Is the new highway to Excellence Punta Cana finished. Going Feb 20th to Excellence and hoping the ride will be shorter.

Thanks Kim

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Highway

It is finished. It took us 38 minutes to get to Excellence from the airport a few weeks ago, by taxi. There's a section of road between Breathless and Excellence that they were working on. When that is done, it should be less than 35 minutes. Nice, smooth ride now.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Highway

count on 35-45 minutes one way of a short ride, compared to the well over 1hrs ride it was prior. no more sections to work on, the road is open on all stretches. sure as everywhere on the globe any road may havge some necessary work done once in a while, but aside of that all is finished and opened.

happy holidays

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Highway

Mark...you must be breaking the speed limit by a good amount and not stopping at the intersections to do it in 38 minutes.

4. Re: New Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 15:33
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Highway

Mike,

My folks were there a few days before the rest of us. It took them less than 40 minutes. I specifically timed it for our taxi ride, and it was 38 minutes, door to door. I timed it again on the ride back to the airport, in a larger taxi, for 5 of us, and it was 40 minutes. Multiple reviews for people who went to the same area say the same. MikeFisher apparently experienced similar times. Maybe you drive more slowly.

Brian,

I don't know what your problem is, but it's getting old.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Highway

I drive 80 to 90 kph. From the airport to Cocotal on the average day...20 minutes. From Cocotal to Uvero Alto...25 to 30 minutes on average "high season" days. Not far off 38 minutes, but that would be very fast on most days.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Highway

If you drive too fast you risk spilling your beer.

J.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Highway

I tried to see how fast the taxi was going on the way back, but the speedometer was broken. LOL Neither taxi seemed to be driving reckless. It was just clear sailing all the way, except for the road construction after Breathless. We left the airport just before 4pm coming in, and we left the hotel at 11:30am coming back.

Mark

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New Highway

You'd think a nice new highway in PC would at least have a 100km speed limit, geese we have that limit here with snow.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Highway

It does...but add to it 40kph trucks....against the flow motorcycles and numerous speed balls(speed bumps) the thought of maintaining a 100kph average is difficult.