We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Okay, we are going to Puntaa Cana for a family vacation in July. I think we have it narrowed down to Melia Caribe or Grand Palladium. Who has been to either one, or both??

We will be taking our 2 1/2 year old daughter, so kids activities are very important to us. Can anyone comment on the kids pools? Are they big? Is there a LOT of shallow areas for them to play in?

Food is so subjective, so I'm not really concerned about food quality. I'm sure we will find something to our liking no matter where we go.

I've read so much I can't remember....which of the two require reservations at the a la cartes?

The two resorts seem to be fairly close to each other, so the beaches are quite similar, right?

I know that the Palladium is a bit more dated than Melia, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Melia will only cost about $300 more, so it's a toss up!!

Any input/opinions would be great!! :)

Thanks in advance!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

We've been to both and liked them both. You have to make reservations for the a la cartes at the Melia but not at the Palladium. I'd say you've done your research well as I'm sure either of these would be great for you - the water at the Melia was very calm - slightly more wavy at the Palladium. We found the Melia really great for kids; the Palladium's kids club was renovated since we went and I've heard it's also really good.

st. louis, MO
Level Contributor
438 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

we loved the kids club at Melia, the best we have experienced to date!

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Been to both,,,,

Palladium 3 times

Melia once (Royal section)

as for dated,, both resorts are very good at staying updated,,

my choice would be Palladium.. better layout(easier to navigate resort)

kids club is all new,and I hear fantastic

i also prefered beach at Palladium,, very long, lots of sun and shade and many places right on beach for beverages

check out the palace section with a loft suite may be a good choice with a young one,, main bedroom upstairs with pull out couch downstairs

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

2 good properties to chose from.

i personally would prefer the Palladium, specially for it's no reservation policy for the restaurants, but i have to mention that to me the Beach/waves or not, is not important as we are on vacation pure pool people.

the Beach at the Melia is much calmer and due that much more suitable to swim/play in the ocean with a little one, it is year around calm.

both get very positive feedback on their Kids Clubs, so i'd say you can't go wrong at either.

have fun

Mike

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Thanks for the info, everyone!! :)

I think we are leaning towards the Palladium.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Just curious which Punta Cana resort you ended up going to (Melia or Grand Palladium), and whether or not you were happy with your decision. We also are now deciding between those two resorts.... Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Melia has a great family VIP section, The Level Family (ensure you don't book an adult only one).

This will include the Gabi restaurant which is for Level guests only and does not require reservations. There is also a small kids pool at Gabi as well. I think the calmness of water at Melia would be a plus as well for little kids. Very calm....just kind of coasts by you as you stand there.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

We ended up going to the Grand Palladium Bavaro resort. It was great!!! Our two year old LOVED the kids pool. The kids club was also very nice. We stayed in a luxury junior suite with a rooftop terrace. It was great to go up there and relax in the jacuzzi once our daughter feel asleep. The beach was great... Clean, calm, etc. The restaurants were great. We purposely went to the restaurants at 6pm when they opened at night, so we never had issues getting a table.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

Glad you had a great time. I really love the Palladium complex.

10. Re: Melia Caribe OR Grand Palladium??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2015, 05:15