We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito's in ROOM ?

Nuremberg, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
mosquito's in ROOM ?

I am petrified of mosquitos. Don't so much mind them during the evening while i'm out and about, but the idea of them in a hotel room at night while i'm asleep terrifies me.

I've had mixed success with them. In Jamaica we had a hotel, that was pretty tall, and you tend to find less of them high up where it's less cooler and breezier. However, in India we were pretty much on ground level and i could hear the pesky sods whizzing in my ear all night biting me.

What's the situation like in Punta Cana ... are they visible at night in your hotel rooms?

Also what about Gekko's in your room?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

It is the Caribbean. You may get some mosquitos and or a gekko! There are no real high rise buildings in the DR. We always stay on the top floor and see them occasionally. Less so with the gekkos.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

Most of the times that I have seen mosquitoes in the hotel rooms was when we were at the Ambar in Punta Cana and as well in Samana and both times they were found in the bathrooms. I think they like the moisture in the bathrooms and they don't have fans in the bathrooms if I am not mistaken. As well I noticed when I would unfold the towels one would fly out on occasion. I think the damp towels that are sitting out in the humidity where they fold them attract them as well and they take up residence in them and they come into the room with the towels. That is my guess from what I have seen anyway. The beds at both places I stayed had mosquitoe nets on the four poster beds so you could close those if that would help depending on the beds where you are staying...

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

I have never had much of a problem with mossies in the room.The odd one maybe that sneaks in when you open the doors.

I don't like things flying about at night, have a thing about them going in my mouth when asleep after watching the Blue Lagoon about 35 years ago.

Most resorts spray the grounds regularly so you don't tend to see a lot generally.

We used to take those plug in things for the room, but haven't bothered for years as the problem is so infrequent.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

While there were mosquitos out at night, we didn't have any issues with them in the room. We had brought beach towels with us for an excursion though, and we rolled them up against the bottom of the door at night - may have helped? We also tried to keep the doors shut as much as possible. Even though housekeeping often had a door open when cleaning midday, we didn't experience any issues.

As mentioned, most resorts spray late, late afternoon. Bring a good repellant also, and some hydrocortisone cream in case of any bites.

We did have a small gecko visit us inside on two occasions, but it stayed up near the ceiling - no real bother, as I'd say they are more afraid of us, than you are of them :)

5. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 23:31
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

EdenkaurSin, goodness I did not mean to alarm you - so sorry :) The thing is, they ARE a natural part of the tropics, but it's not like they are running rampant all over the place. Our room was ground floor, many plants around, right on the beach and next to a vacant lot full of foliage next door - this may very well could have played a part in why we had this "visitor". Many, if not most people, travel to PC and never see one - fear not.

Not sure where you are staying or thinking of staying, but you could request a room on a higher floor - they don't ever often make their way into the rooms anyway, but ground floor might have a better "chance" of this happening. My husband was FREAKED out by the idea too, and not exactly pleased when he saw the little one in our room, but he did get over it rather quickly. You could just keep rolled up towels at the bottom of any doors and they won't be able to get in.

As irrational as your fear may or may not be, I appreciate that it is real for you and I do understand :) But, please don't let this deter you from traveling to PC - it is a beautiful place !!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquito's in ROOM ?

if you keep the room door and balcony doors closed, which makes anyways sense when using the A/C, then it is very unlikely that Mozzies are present in the room.

as other stated, a upper floor room provides even less of that "danger".

same for the lil an completely harmless sweet Geckos, even that the lil buggers of course are able to walk the tiny lil space under a closed door, so here a towel placed there does the trick, unless the Gecko lives already in the room. you barely see them during daytime in a room, they come out when the night comes. we have several around our house(don't freak out, i do not live at a spraying hotel, i live on the beach with natural Tropical Plants and trees etc etc all around, so of course we have all those different lil buggers living there and coming out at their times, and we love them to be around.

a top floor room at a resort will be a safe place for you.

otherwise you should not visit any warm climate destin, not even spain in the summer etc, and less the Tropics, but you really would miss out on something fantastic to experience.

have fun

Mike