We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Centerport, New York
11 posts
Save Topic
Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Hi Everyone!

My head is spinning with all the reviews of the Punta Cana all inclusive resorts so I thought I would have you experts help me decide. (Thanks in advance)

My husband and I usually travel on his Marriott points and SW miles but there aren't many Marriott's in the Caribbean. Plus our Room charges at check out come to almost the same price as 7 days at an all inclusive!

I am torn between the Melia Caribe Tropical, Bavaro Palace Deluxe and the Bahia Principe Ambar..

We plan on traveling May 31-June 7, 2014 So that it is after Spring Break and Hoping that most children will still be in school on those dates.

They are all similar in pricing so I would like to know, Which is best for couples, has the best food, Beach, Pools and rooms/suites?

Thanks SO much!

Kris

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

I would think that Barcelo Bavaro Beach would be a better option for couples than Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe. It's adult only and you have access to the amenities at BBPD.

I would rank the beach at Barcelo Bavaro best, followed by Melia. There are no palapas on the beach at Barcelo Bavaro, but lots of palm trees. The beach there and at Melia is less crowded, and has whiter sand and calmer waters.

In my experience, I preferred the food at Melia to Barcelo Bavaro. I don't know about the food at Ambar. I also don't know what The Level at Melia is like, because it just opened. Based on what I've read, it looks good. The adult only Level section at Melia is close to the beach. All rooms at Barcelo Bavaro (both Beach and Palace) are close to the beach, because it is spread out along the beach. Ambar rooms are relatively close to the beach.

These are all large resorts. Bahia is the largest in terms of rooms, with about 3100 rooms. Barcelo Bavaro has about 2000 rooms, and Melia has about 1100 rooms. Of course, the adult only sections of these are just a portion of that.

BBB and Ambar have more adult only restaurants than Melia, which I believe has only one, for The Level.

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Have you looked at Majestic Elegance Club? It should be in the same price range. I like the fact that, unlike the others mentioned, no reservations are required for dinner (with a couple of exceptions).

Mark

Centerport, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Thanks Mark!

Majestic looks nice too! How are the waters there? Looking for calm.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Majestic and Ambar are next to each other (with a bit of a gap between them) on Arena Gorda Beach. Barcelo Bavaro and Melia are on Bavaro Beach, which is pretty much always calm. Arena Gorda Beach is sometimes rougher, but probably not so much at that time of year.

Mark

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

If it helps, usually the further south you are, the calmer the water.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Of the three resorts you're looking at, we've only beeen to the Melia and Ambar and definitely, the Ambar would be my recommendation for just a couple given that it's adults-only and more upscale. That being said, however, there are definitely more waves so if you want calm water, than the Melia, Barcelo Bavaro (or Barcelo Bavaro Palace) would be better choices. Agree that it would be worth looking into the Level section of the Melia for just adults.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 17:58
Centerport, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

Thank you all so much for your help! OK going with the calmer water so it seems to be a choice between Bavaro Beach -Adults only and Bavaro Palace. Which would be better for a couple first week in June? I am thinking most kids are still finishing up the school year so the Palace shouldn't be too noisy? I only ask because I like the Jr. Suite's at the Palace with the hot tub on the balcony. Not sure about the rooms at Bavaro beach?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

you can take the Palace deLuxe for your prefered room with the hot tub on the balcony without worries, as the resort offers so many different areas, some of the lifelier kind and some of the ver relaxed quiet kind, you can choose which variation you prefer at any moment. it is the same on their very spacy large beach, there are locations where animation programs take place, and there are many portions where you are undisturbed by any noise, a big advantage of a resort with such exceptionally spacy large beacharea, as not provided by any other property. and the water on that white sandy beach is year around calm.

Mike

9. Re: Help! Resort Selection. Melia vs. Bavaro Palace vs. Ambar =)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:30