We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to Iberostar or try something new???

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back to Iberostar or try something new???

Our family including 2 children (ages 9 and 12) have been to the Iberostar Tucan and Maya in the Mayan Rivier, and are looking to take a vacation this summer in Punta Cana. We loved the Iberostar hotels, and all the activities they offered, but we are thinking of trying something new. Unfortunately we just returned from Jamaica and tried a Riu and we were disappointed with the food and lack of activities so we are reluctant to try a different hotel brand at this point. I was looking at the Now Larimar Punta Cana, Grand Bahia Principe Esmerelda, and the Magestic Colonial. Does anyone have any advice to help me make a decision?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,878 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

Not sure I can offer you any advice, only you can decide what is right for you. I'm an Iberostar Bavaro and Grand fan... and I've tried a fair amount of other resorts in Punta Cana but when the price is right I always end up back at the Iberostar.

Sorry I couldn't help :-)

Cheers, Debbie

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

We've been to several resorts in Punta Cana, including the Iberostar Grand Bavaro (adults only) and the Iberostar Bavaro and loved both of them. We've also been to the Bahia Ambar (adults only), Grand Palladium, Dreams Palm Beach and Melia Caribe Tropical and loved all of them too - but we're not that picky! Iberostar definitely had the best food of them all (although Ambar was certainly great also so I'm sure Esmeralda would be very good). I've heard great things about the Majestic Colonial - haven't read that much about NOW Larimar - the only issues with these resorts (which was the same as the Dreams Palm Beach) is that I believe they all have frosted glass bathroom doors which we found just not allowing enough privacy versus the fully enclosed wooden door - that may not be a big deal for you though.

Also want to throw out another resort for you to consider - the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe - we haven't been there but we walked by it and it looks amazing and has a great waterpark which might be fun for your kids. It was out of our budget so for our next trip we're actually going to the Barcelo Maya Tropical in Mexico.

If you have any questions on any of the resorts I've been to, feel free to ask and I will try to help. By the way, I'm going to the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal at the end of April with my older daughters (who are in their 20s) - I stayed at the Sandos next door a couple of years ago and walked around the ITQ and thought it looked really nice and really loved Playacar!

Edited: 10 January 2014, 14:50
devon
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

We stayed at the Tucan 2 years ago and loved it! Grounds are lovely with lots of animals to see. Food and Restaurants excellent and staff cannot do enough to help you! We are lovers of Bavaro and prefer the beach there so we are returning this March for our 10th visit. Have stayed at Iberostar Bavaro, Palladium, Bavaro Princess, the Barceló complex before it was re-designed (don't like it so much now) Melia Caribe. Thinking of going to the Catalonia this year Do you know it? Is it near to the Barceló because in our opinion the actual Bavaro beach is far better than other beaches ie: Arena Gorda, El Cortecito which are a lot narrower. Can anyone give me advice please. Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

sunobsessed - You may want to start a separate topic on your question. I haven't been to the Catalonia - the cloest was to Dreams Palm Beach. The water there was very calm (similar to the Melia).

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

Never stayed at the iberostar...however we are returning to the palladium palace next month for oir vacation. Right now in our lives we get one week of luxury and we wanted to return to a resort that we loved and know that we will have a great week. Not ready to take chances just yet....maybe when we are retired and can make more trips

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

We are like Cherie - when we return in July, it will be two years since our first/last visit. We looked and looked and looked to see where else we might stay, and believe me - we had a hard time, lol. With all the places we are interested in, we kind of brushed them aside to go back to where we had such a fabulous time on our first trip. We too hope to experience some of the resorts on our "radar" in the future, and have decided to have my son tag along next trip, so we're bound to pick somewhere new - Zoetry is "mom's resort", lol. :D

Edited: 10 January 2014, 22:55
Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

You will really enjoy the Tucan/Quetzal. Nice small feel, but plenty of room to explore. Pool is right on top of the beach making it nice to bounce back and fourth.

8. Re: Back to Iberostar or try something new???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18