We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Summerside
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

So we were there two months ago and just booked again yesterday for March 21. We had a fabulous time and service was excellent. I'm sure glad I don't pay too close attention to reviews cause I would make the decision not to go. From reading them, it feels like these people were not even at the same resort as us. Can a resort turn so horribly awful in two months? I don't think so.

Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

Spudislanders, Before I first visited the Ocean Blue in January of 2012 I had my husband so upset with me he told me if I told him about one more bad review 'trip was off', so I was in misery alone looking at bad reviews and making myself a wreck. I went and just could not understand where them reviews came from as I had an amazing time and found the food to be good. I still read the reviews on my soon to be vacations the only thing different now is I (since finding this forum) do not get worked up knowing that some people are harder to please or may have just had other expectations. I do believe that some have bad experiences however I also take with a grain of salt as many exaggerate IMO.

Have a wonderful time. I am off to La Romana in 3 days.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

I have to roll my eyes at some of those reviews too.

I do keep in mind that someone is most likely to take the time to write a review if they had a problem they want to complain about.

Most of the people who have a wonderful time don't bother to write a review.

It's the complaints you will hear first in any forum.

With that in mind, look at the total numbers, such as a total of 500 or so in the two lowest categories, and over 5,000 in the highest two categories.

WE had a great time there in 2013, which is why we are going back in a few weeks.

And why I said this months ago:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d584…

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

And I'm just the opposite, I always write a review to give all the positives, while acknowledging that sometimes, problems can occur. It just annoys me so much to think that someone reading these reviews with the intention of booking would change their minds pretty quickly and end up missing a wonderful trip. Having said that, this upcoming trip will be our 7th at the resort and we have gone during busy times. Yes, service can be a bit slow, when the resort is at capacity, but big deal, you're on vacation so chill. Remember that a smile goes one heck of a long way.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

Hi, we booked our wedding at Riu Palace Bavaro based on fab reviews and great pictures on TA along with a few other sites and a bit of homework on the place. At the time it was 19th in Punta Cana on TA. Gradually more reviews started to come through that were not so good to read and i started to panic a little - this went on for a few weeks and it started to drop in the rankings. I then decided to go back and review the hotel along with the alternatives within our price range just out of curiosity and you know what..... If i was booking my holidays at that point i would still have gone with The one we booked. Overall there are way way more 5/5 or 4/5 reviews than there are 1's 2's or 3's and the hotel had dropped in the rankings for other reasons eg. other hotels in resort were getting more reviews placed than ours was so it's a numbers game - if the resort next door receives 10 decent reviews in a week which pushes up their average and yours only gets 2 the they will push past you in the rankings so i've stopped worrying about "THE NUMBER" in effect as long as the majority of reviews are 4 or 5 and the same issues are not repeatedly coming up i'm a happy girl :-)

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

I agree with Shirley and LaTA3!! We are still going in 15 days and you will see a real review with pictures either way!!!! Ted&Julie

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

Yahoo, that's the spirit Backus2006. I will be waiting for that review, especially about the new lobby. Is there lots of seating area now since it was lacking before. What's the new piano bar like, etc, etc. Have an awesome trip.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

At this time of the year nearly all properties get some scathing reviews and this is partly IMHO as they are going with very high expectations as they have paid top whack for their trip. At the time of the year properties are operation at very high occupancy rates and accordingly if something is likely to go wrong it will do. Properties also have far less flexibility with room requests and upgrades

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

ff is bang on with his remarks. This isn't the only resort suffering from some scathing reviews. It is the most expensive time of year to travel. Folks expect that they paid a lot therefore should receive a great deal for their dollar. They don't understand that they booked a slightly more budget friendly property in comparison to others in the area. Resorts are bulging at the seams. There's no room flexibility where guests get placed. Inevitably some will get a less desirable room. Staff will be working their backsides off but it won't be enough to meet the high demand. Service in some areas may suffer.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

buckus2006, this is amazing - seems I keep following you around! Remember, we both were on the Ixtapa forum for years! We're from Nebraska... Going to Punta Cana Feb. 1st with our group of 60 & staying at the Ocean Blue & Sand. When will you be there?

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's with the bad reviews at Ocean Blue

It's a mixed bag of nuts really. Expectation, occupancy, a TA that wasn't honest about a property, unexpected renovations or someone is just in a bad mood. Many reasons for bad reviews. I say don't worry so much and look at the percentage of those that recommend a resort.