We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of curiosity...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Out of curiosity...

If you had a certain budget would you book a lower end room in the nicest resort you could afford or would you book the highest end room in a lower end resort?

And why?

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of curiosity...

I would take the former over the latter.

PC

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of curiosity...

I'd probably follow the old real estate maxim about how you're better off with the worst house in the richer town than the best house in the poorer town.

The hotel room is only one facet of the overall experience, and one you're using mostly when your eyes are closed. Most of your waking hours, you're on the beach, at the pool, enjoying the bars, restaurants, entertainment. Presumably, the better resorts will have better amenities, better food, nicer grounds, better service, etc. The waiter at the restaurant or the bartender at the swim-up don't know you opted for the least expensive room.....

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of curiosity...

Agree with reply #1

Take the basic room in the better resort.

Food and amenities will be better.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of curiosity...

to me, that would depends on location ,beach, hotel amenities, spring breakers , etc

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out of curiosity...

I agree with the above and would go with lowest room in best place. Because the other ammenities (food, service, facility etc.) of the nice place can make up for the lack of room size.

I would probably also look into the length of the vacay too. More days and still within budget is a good thing.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out of curiosity...

I don't ever travel to a resort for the room only. I am in search of an island to enjoy the people and the culture. We have booked both ways, depending on the island. When we travel to PC, I would book the lower end room in the nicest resort. The reason is because PC is not known for fine dining at an AI resort. I find the food better at a higher end resort.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 19:52
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Out of curiosity...

I agree with 1, 2, and 3

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Out of curiosity...

You have to ask yourself: How much time will I actually spend in my room? For me the answer is as little as possible, all I do is sleep in the room, as long as it's comfortable...therefore the lowest class room in the best resort would be my choice.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Out of curiosity...

Lowest cost room in the best resort - no question.

Mark

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Out of curiosity...

I can live with a basic room in a higher end resort. Having a well upgraded room in a lower end resort is worthless if the service, food and amenities aren't that great.