We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 resorts to choose from....

Perris, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 resorts to choose from....

Okay, I have finally narrowed my lists to three resorts. Please help me decide... I been going crazy this last few days,my head is spinning with so much info. My husband says I'm the most indecisive person in the world and to stop paying attention to TA reviews. Resorts are as follow no specific order.

Melia = beach sounds great, pictures makes this resort look very fresh and and nice decor. Big plus is the feedback from the kids program.

Palladium bavaro = everything sounds great with this resort, except the whole resort (buildings, rooms) looks outdated, and # 1 complain is that it smells too much like cigarette everywhere. When I hear that, I picture a 3 star hotel from Vegas, I can tolerate excessive cigarette smell for a long weekend, but not for a whole week. The kids program sound awesome here too.

Riu palace punta cana = We have stayed in Riu resorts in the past @ playa del carme and cabos, we loved it! I figured we can't go wrong with that chain. I love the design of the building, it also looks fresh and with nice decor. We can probably afford the bavaro section, but is it worth it? Thanks in adavance, first time in punta cana, hoping it's a memorable one!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

I know I already replied on your other post, but since you added in the Riu, I thought I'd mention that I haven't stayed there but don't hear much about it on this forum (not sure why) so it's never been on our radar - mostly because I also have not read very much about kids club/activities which is important since our 10 year old son is with us. It does look really beautiful though.

We did prefer the Melia over the Palladium - and it's funny that you mention the cigarette smell at the Palladium as I did find it very bad at the lobby there at night.

I thought of another resort that we haven't been to but is one we've looked at going to that you also might want to check out - Dreams La Romana.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 21:35
Perris, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

Thank you! Momlovstorun- I know I might sound repetitive with my post, Sorry! Lol! It's just that every time I'm ready to book, something else comes up, like the cigarette thing in the palladium, after my first post I was sooo ready to book with the palladium because everyone highly recommended it, but no one mentioned the cigarette smell, and I know I keep reading how the palladium got renovated, but the pictures on here keep showing an outdated resort. Yeah, I don't hear much about RIU's either. I'm considering that one, just because of my previous experiences with the RIU chain. Thank you so much!

Perris, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

Ooops! Got your name wrong, @momluvstorun, btw! I love to run too :) thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

momluvstorun knows more when it comes to places for kids. You should heed her advice.

My best friend has been taking his daughter from age 6 to 11 now, and while he thought the kids club stuff at Dreams was great, he preferred Melia overall. He's been looking at Palladium and Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe. I haven't stayed at Palladium, but I have stayed at Barcelo Bavaro. I'll have to tell him about the cigarette smoke smell, as he's not a fan of that. By the way, he thought Dreams Riviera Cancun was fantastic.

Despite some shortcomings, I'm a fan of Melia - enough so that I've been 4 times. I'm looking forward to hearing what the new The Level is like.

Mark

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

Just to note that the Grand Palladium, Bavaro section has just finished a major renovation. All the rooms as well as the restaurants have undergone updating and there is also a new building close to the beach. If you read reviews about the Palladium Palace or Punta Cana, these are the sections looking somewhat dated.

I personally cannot say we noted cigarette smoke everywhere we went at the Palladium complex (we were there in May)

Edited: 11 January 2014, 22:30
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

I'll just throw this out there, but I read reviews for everywhere all the time, lol, and a recent review for ONE of the Palladiums, showed many pictures of the Bavaro section renovations - it looked really, really nice!!! I'll try to find it - I remember because I'm pretty sure the reviewer did NOT stay in that section, but they popped over to see it...

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

That review you are referring to is for The Royal Suites Turquessa. I can't copy the link on my phone. I think the title was probably our best trip yet. Hope this help

happy travels

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

Yep northern - that was it! Review under Royal Suites Turquesa entitled "Quite possibly our best trip ever". Here's the link if it will work - anyway, there are photos there of the new Bavaro section :)

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147293-d1005302…

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

palladium smelling of smoke

he presence or absence of cigarette smoke really depends on the guests staying at the time, we just came back on Sunday and my DH smokes the occasional cigar, he felt no need this trip as so many people were smoking ( I smoke so it did not bother me) Lobbies are open air so unless sitting by a smoker it should not be an issue also all of the seating in the bavaro lobby is brand new. as to how many guests smoke at any given time is a variable that any resort cant control

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 resorts to choose from....

just checked the link and that is my husbands review :0) I told him he had to post one as we were just there in Oct so TA wont let me :0( and we are back in Feb so my reviews will be behind LOL.

side note the new bavaro buildings in the pictures are the higher category suites , I had a quick look at the pictures posted by travelers and none have posted pics of the new rooms! here is a link to pictures of the renovated junior suites in the bavaro sectio

s236.photobucket.com/user/sukie63/library/…

they look fuzzy when the 3 are displayed but click on each pic and they are clear

Edited: 12 January 2014, 00:06