We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Card

Missouri
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Card

We are going to Punta Cana in March. How far ahead can you purchase the tourist card online. I didn't know if you needed to purchase it close to your trip or if it was ok to purchase ahead of time.

From what I understand you need to purchase the tourist card for each person, but the $20.00 each for return is included in the airfare is that correct?

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Card

The cards are good for a year after purchase. The $20 departure tax is included in US flights.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Card

Here is the link if you don't already have it:

https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

Also let your card company/ bank know that you made the purchase, I always get a fraud call as it is charged from the DR.

Missouri
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Card

Thank you!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Card

How does it work to purchase online?

I haven't been to PC since 2009 and can't remember a long line to purchase the tourist card.

Don't you just fill out blue form and hand the $ to them when you have your passport stamped?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Card

You can either get in the line with 10 bucks or go online and print it out buying with a cc. Good for one year and one entry per person purchase. No names, nothing needed, just cc.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Card

When you enter arrivals, there's a line for buying the tourist card, and another for immigrations. Depending on how many planes have arrived at that time, and from where, it can be short or long for buying the tourist cards. If you already have it, you walk straight to immigrations, where you hand in the blue form and get your passport stamped. Either way, you still have to go to immigrations, but if you already have the tourist card, you avoid one line.

Mark

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Card

Daveann11... yes you can still purchase the tourist card at the airport, as you remember, but since your last trip, they have made it available for purchase on line, if you want to do it that way. Depending on how busy the airport is at the time, and what you've arranged for hotel transfers, it may save you time as you transit through the airport. But, if you're taking a shared shuttle and bought the tourist card ahead of time, and someone on your bus has not... you'll be waiting anyway, albeit perhaps with a cold one in hand.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,547 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Card

Daveann

The Blue form you mentioned is not the Tourist Card for your entry that is the Immigration Form which is totally different, also one per person.

Angie.

Angie.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Card

poozieny thank you for the information.

We are taking a private shuttle to the resort. How does it work, do they send you confirmation and you give it to them when we give them our passport's? Or is there a seperate line for the cards, I can't remember.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 19:30
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Card

I haven't purchased the tourist card online, but from what I understand, you are sent something to print out, which is what you bring with you. Then, as was described above you bypass the line to purchase the card at the airport, and head towards immigration, where at some point, they'll take your tourist card printout and stamp your passport.

Since you've arranged for private transfers, it sounds like buying the tourist card in advance will speed your transit through the airport and get you to the resort more quickly.