We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

Hello friends, looking for input on where to stay in Punta Cana, DR. I am in my (early) 30's, single, and in need of a FUN gettaway. I have a plane ticket, passport and swimsuit packed. I leave in 10 days, and am looking for the best ideas of places to stay. It doesn't have to all be in the same place, and I am not much for sitting in a resort, (but if there is a good one for me, feel free). I'd like to be around lots of fun people, enjoy drinks in the sun and any bar by the beach, and be able to venture off and explore what the DR has to offer. I have 5 full days. I prefer to be close to the beach or if there is a little town that is FUN! I also want to dive so best recs for that too are appreciated.

Thanks for your help and advice! Cheers!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

define FUN LOL... do you speak spanish? there's lots and lots of resorts that fit your criteria along with a lot of bars and night clubs.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

I do speak Spanish and wouldnt mind finding an island princess to show me around! Fun for me means bars and places to meet people. The other fun stuff (exploring, diving, etc... I can find there), but where to stay is my big question right now.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

Hmm, you could try a hostil or a condo... or are you looking for and all-inclusive resort?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

I think I rather not do the resort thing, at least not all 6 nights. Maybe one or 2 nights. Is that the only option for something near/on the sand? I looked on priceline.com and there are a lot of hotels (like the MT hotel) that get pretty good ratings and very inexpensive, but its hard to tell without some unbiased guidance... Is there a particular neighborhood or part of the beach that is better? Or any areas to for sure avoid?

Thank you for sharing!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

Go to Bayahibe and stay in a non AI hotel. Very nice small town.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

Or maybe Cabarete - sounds like what you may be looking for too - good luck :)

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

Sosua or Caberete the place ur looking for . Lots of small motels and in the heart of the action.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

How far is that from Punta Cana? Can I take a cab there or have to fly somewhere else? thanks!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

I believe you fly into Puerto Plata for both...? Others will have more details for you. Poster Bigjim recently spent some time in Cabarete - he'll have some great info for you too if you're interested.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana Solo Traveler input needed!

ok so after reading up, its not worth flying into Punta Cana to go to those spots. I would have to fly into Puerto Plata, which poses other issues! Hmmm, is there nothing within cab distance to Punta Cana that would be fun???