We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Owen Sound, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
money

I am heading to Punta Cana on the 20th. Our plan is to get some much needed

R & R. I have changed some money from Canadian funds to American funds

I am looking for some insight to the value of the Dominican pesos, so if my friend

and I did decide to do a little " shopping " whether it be a market, vendor, " mall ", which there apparently is not too far from the resort, where is the best place to change the American $ to Dominican Currency . I am not sure what prices are like in the Dominican, and I know that changing Pesos back to American $ is pretty much impossible. Is there a max amount of American $ you would change at one time, or did I misunderstand and is the American dollar accepted more widely than I have read. Could you give me any idea what the cost of grocery (ie coffee ) type products or clothing/jewellery may cost. Its difficult to be exact since we don't have any idea what we might be shopping for. Any suggestions. ??

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

American accepted, no need to change to pesos.

Owen Sound, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: money

thanks for your feedback. I have read several of the comment people post after leaving resorts and quite a few of them have mentioned that places off the resort will not take American money. Are they ok with the exchange difference, or do they consider our

American dollar to be equal to there dollar. I will have to check again to see the difference

between the Dominican peso and American dollar.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Currently US$1 = 42.799 Dominican Pesos. At the Iberostar Bavaro lobby store last week they were exchanging US$1 for 39 Dominican Pesos.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

lily we had USD and it was readily accepted when we were there a year and a half ago...we did a little off resort shopping at a local store, and it was all good :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

<<< I have read several of the comment people post after leaving resorts and quite a few of them have mentioned that places off the resort will not take American money >>>

I only use USD and it has always been accepted, never refused BUT what some have said is that we would not get a rate beneficial to us, as they just round up. Now if using Dominican Pesos, the price would be accurate.

Hope this helps explain some of what you read.

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money

American dollars are more widely accepted than you have been led to believe. If you are in an area where American money is not accepted I would get the hell out quickly.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 21:50
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money

There is no real need to change to DOP for shopping in small markets.

The only thing I bring DOP for is tipping. As much as they appreciate USD, speaking to them when I went last time, they cannot use USD outside of the tourist areas and most of them live in Higuey for farther. Therefore, they must take the FX rate hit themselves. I would bring about at least 500 pesos ($12.50US) per day for tipping. I tip a bit more generously, but use discretion.

Syracuse, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: money

If you go to ( Www.DRSol.com.) it will give you a travelers cheat sheet.

Owen Sound, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: money

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are leaving from Toronto Pearson International

airport tomorrow ( Mon. jan 20 ) to head to Punta,Cana ( IFA Bavaro Village Beach and Spa

Resort. reading the posts, I think that I will likely exchange a small amount of US$ to the

Dominican Pesos just for tipping purposes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money

<<If you are in an area where American money is not accepted I would get the hell out quickly.>>

Don"t believe that. Dollars are accepted in the tourist area. Beyond that better to use pesos. IMO the best areas of the Dr are those areas where the peso is the norm.