We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Hi everyone!

We've been to Catalonia Royal Tulum in Mexico and adored it. But we rarely stay in the same place twice. Could anyone let me know if Royal Bavaro is as fantastic? What are the differences? Thanks so much!

Fairfax, Vermont
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Have been to both. Tulum just once 3yrs ago, Bavaro once a year for last couple years( will be there in 39 days!!). We mainly go back to Bavaro because flight is shorter and once curbside we are at resort in about 20 min. Food is slightly better at Bavaro and the beach seems bigger. Spa set-up far superior at Tulum. Used spa once at Bavaro, and doubt I'll ever use it again. Bavaro landscaping is very open, manicured. Miss the jungle walk at Tulum. Rooms and service are about the same, unless of course you get one of those executive villas at Bavaro which look incredible. Being attached to the family resort, you have more places to walk around at Bavaro, which we enjoy doing after supper. Overall, we prefer Bavaro.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

I prefer CRB over CRT. The sea is always calm and to me the beach area is way less crowded. I don't feel like I'm sitting on top of my neighbour.

Food and drinks are about the same with a slight nod to CRT for food and CRB for drinks.

I loved the jungle setting at CRT but the grounds are beautiful at the family Bavaro next door to CRB.

I miss the wildlife that CRT has when staying at CRB. DR doesn't have much going for it nature wise.

Much more to see and do off resort in Mexico. It's easier and less expensive to wander off sightseeing on your own. There is stuff to do in Punta Cana but most entails taking tours. If you're into snorkelling then Mexico wins hands down.

My daughter and I prefer CRB for our "lazy vacations". It ticks all our boxes to get away and recharge the batteries. It's close to the airport so no long transfer ride. For our "active vacations" we generally head to Costa Rica.

It's difficult to recommend one Cat Royal resort over another. So much depends on personal taste. While I prefer CRB, I wouldn't say no to a return trip to CRT either. A good vacation can be had at both locations.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Yay! Thanks you two. I just wanted to make sure I could expect as great an experience which it seems like I can. Can't wait to book! One last thing- is the beach as beautiful at CRB? I love the idea of it being wider...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

I must be honest, the Xpuha beach is stunning. It's a postcard beach. I've only seen better in Cuba. CRB is beautiful too but in a different way. There are palm tree forests. Best way to describe it. Go with an open mind and expect differences. Beauty comes in many different forms.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Margadagio, you seem right on point. We've actually debated Cuba but the food freaks us out for a 2 week period (which is what we're looking to book right now). We haven't been anywhere we haven't loved and I'm already so excited! Do you have any recommendations for booking here? Apparently you are the person to ask! :-)

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

We stayed at CRT last year and were so happy with the experience we booked with CRB for this year. Leave in 9 days. So excited, we hear they make a good ceasar. We're not big party people instead prefer alot of R and R. You can read my review of CRT right here on Trip A. I'll write another when we return from CRB (ouch can't believe I just said return....NOOOO!)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

I have friends who stayed at Iberostar Ensenachos in Cuba. They swear by it and say food is good. A real dream beach. Check it out under Cayo Santa Maria.

As for CRB, we adore the place and always have a great time there. Everyone is different but it works for us. We were there 9 days last trip and could easily handle 2 weeks.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
549 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Marg, Is it true they make Cesars at the Cat Royal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Yes it is true!!! yay!!

Not just the lobby bar either. They also make at all the other bars on the Royal side. Only problem is they can run out of Clamato juice if there are too many Canadians ordering. lol

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro vs Catalonia Royal Tulum

Caesars too? Oh who cares about Cuba, I've got to go here! lol. Thanks so much for all the help!